Hi, I was looking for my best friend. Have you seen her? (PART ONE)

"Why is it when you wake up all you want to do is go back to sleep, but when it's time for bed you want to stay up as late as possible?" 

Emma was laying on her back, her head of gorgeous blonde hair falling off the edge of the bed. She was looking at the room upside down as Regina was sitting at a desk flipping through a textbook. 

"Emma, you're supposed to be studying for your sociology exam, not having shower thoughts." She turned to glance at her best friend/roommate but then immediately went back to her book. 

Emma flips off the bed and fixes her hair out of her face so she can see the brunette. "You're no fun, what happened to the old Regina who would sit with me and just talk for hours about things that made no sense at all. I miss her." 

"She grew up, and was given loads of homework in replacement." Regina turns her chair and sighs, "Emma we were kids-"

"It was like three years ago, don't be dramatic," she crosses her arms and leans against the desk Regina has been working at. 

"Well, a lot has happened in the past three years hasn't it. We aren't freshly graduated from high school and excited about adulthood. We are in adulthood and freaking out, one of us is taking it seriously while the other is trying to pretend like nothing has changed. Guess which one you are?" 

"How did this get switched on me, seriously?" She stiffened and moved away again, "never mind Regina just forget I said anything." She plops back down on her bed and starts scrolling through her phone. All she wants is for her and Regina to be friends again, not roommates who talk occasionally in passing or have small moments. She wants the big moments again, where they would say 'fuck the consequences' and would do what they wanted to in the moment. It won't ever be the same, not now. Regina has Robin, the controlling douchebag and Emma is now the sidekick of the Regina show. 

Regina had moved back to doing what she wanted to, studying. 

"I'm going for a walk," Emma says standing up and putting on her hat and jacket before walking over and starting to put on her boots.

"What?" Regina whips around, "No you're not. It's really late and freezing cold out there Emma."

"I need to clear my head, and I can if I want to." She was annoyed with how Regina is acting and honestly she didn't want to be around her. 

"Let me come with you then, you shouldn't go by yourself it's dangerous." She starts to stand up and grab her coat.

"No," Emma says harshly. "I don't want you to go, I need to think and you being there really won't help. I can take care of myself" She walks over to her bed and grabs her phone that was plugged in on the charger.

"Are you pissed at me?" Regina asked confused not understanding what was happening. 

Emma turns and slides her phone into her butt pocket, "Yeah Regina I am, I'm fucking pissed at you." She walks towards the door, "I need to figure out what I'm doing and you really aren't helping at all by not being my friend. I kinda needed you Regina.." She looks at the brunette for a moment and then turns and walks out of the door

There are a lot of things Regina would have said if she knew that was the last time she would talk to Emma. She would have told Emma that she loved her, that Emma was the only person Regina ever trusted with anything. She would have told her that she wishes they didn't drift apart, that they were still as close as freshman year. 

There were a few things she wishes she would have done. Like for instance, grab her coat and force Emma to deal with having her with her. Maybe she could have pulled Emma back in and told her she was sorry, that she misses them too and then made some hot cocoa.