Chapter 16

Ruby's POV

I nodded and followed the two police officers down the ward and into a smaller room. Inside the room was a wooden table with two chairs either side, just like I'd seen in the detective programmes. I never thought I'd have to enter one myself.

"Take a seat please and we'll begin with the questioning." The other police officer said, this one was a woman, reasonably tall with blonde hair tied up into a bun.

I pulled out the chair and sat myself down, not saying a word, my stomach feeling sick. The two police officers sat opposite me, the woman pulling a small black book from her pocket, accompanied by a pen.

"Whilst the doctors set up the heart monitor they also carried out a test on Brian, discovering the cause behind his death, and it wasn't connected to the tumour - it was a pill overdose." He told me, looking straight into my eyes, showing no expression. I couldn't help but gasp at being told this.

"He-he committed suicide?" I asked, my voice shaking as I tried to come to terms with that I had just been told.

"That is correct. We know for a fact that Brian was too unstable to have gotten hold of the pills alone, therefore suggesting an assisted suicide. Do you have any information of how Brian could've possibly gotten held of the pills?" He asked me.

"No - I have no idea. We don't have any paracetamol in the house." I replied. Then it hit me, making my face drop. Calum had brought in some tablets to help with Brian's head ache. No, it couldn't of been him.

"Please just tell us everything you know, Miss. We will find out eventually due to fingerprints." The female officer said gently.

I took in a deep breath, I knew I had to tell them, there was no use in lying. "Well earlier today my boyfriend went out to get some tablets for a headache he said Brian had. I thought nothing of it at the time, he wouldn't assist someone to commit suicide." I said in protest before they even had the chance to put the blame on anyone.

"Okay. Thank you for your time, that is all." The male officer said, as he stood from his chair. He walked over to the door and pulled it open leaving a gap for me to walk through.

What if it really was Calum? No. I couldn't let myself believe it.