Chapter 13

Calum's POV

What was wrong with her? It was like she had some kind of mental disorder. All the stress of the past month must've been too much, I hated to see her like this.

Then the thought hit me, Brian. He was upstairs, dead, and Ruby had no idea. I didn't know what to do. I couldn't let her find out after what had just happened, she seemed traumatised enough as it was.

I ran into the living room as fast as my legs would take me but she wasn't there. I stood in silence for a second before hearing her delicate footsteps head up the stairs.

I sprinted up behind her, trying to catch up and stop her but I was too late. She pushed open Brian's door and stepped into the room. I stood at the top of the stairs, I couldn't bare going in after her.

"You alright Brian?" I heard her innocent, small voice say. Then there was silence. "Time to wake up!" She laughed. Silence filling the house once again.

I heard her small footsteps again, pacing through Brian's room to the opposite side, where his bed was. Then suddenly a sharp gasp came from the room, followed by a whispered "No-" and hysterical crying.

I couldn't hold back any longer and I ran into his room, presented with my girlfriend kneeling on the floor, her head on Brian's bed, uncontrollably crying and out of pattern breathing.

She hadn't heard me enter the room through her endless tears and cries for help. "Someone help me!" She screamed, raising her head from the bed and looking at the lifeless face of Brian.

"What's happened?" I said worryingly, having to act surprised. I hated having to lie to her, especially about something like this.

"Call an ambulance, he's stopped breathing!" She bawled, tears soaking her cheeks, the look of absolute desperation covering her face.

I pulled my phone from my pocket and hit the emergency call button, holding the phone to my ear.

"Hello - what service do you require?" A mans voice said down the phone.

"Ambulance, it's my friend, he's dead." I said with desperation, saying the words made me feel so much worse.

"Okay, I am going to need you to remain calm for me. What's your name?" He said in a calm tone.

"Calum." I replied.

"Okay Calum, where is this incident?" He asked me.

"It's at my house, 62 Bleak Hill lane." I said.

"Right Calum, the ambulance is on it's way and should be with you in a couple of minutes but I'm going to need you to stay on the line, okay?" He asked me.

"Okay." I said, trying to calm myself down.

"Do you have any details of what happened?" He continued.

"No-" I paused. "He has a brain tumour but that's all I can think of."

"Okay, I think the ambulance should be outside now." He said.

"Okay thank you." I replied, ending the call and sliding my phone back into my pocket.

I sprinted down the stairs and pulled open the door, the paramedics ran in and paced up the stairs in the direction I pointed them in, all the memories from last month came flooding back when Brian was taken into hospital for the first time.