BITTERSWEET

"and in the middle of my chaos, there was you."

A hurried breath in the darkness. She breathed in dust particles and coughed them out. There were ropes tied around her, chafing up her wrists. She felt weak still and though Klaus's  heartbeat was still there, it had gotten more quiet, like a rock skipping over water. Creating ripples so far away, but still visible. She looked through the fog in front of her eyes and found herself to be in an oddly familiar place. Not that she had enjoyed herself the last time she was here.

She didn't even know that Klaus existed back then, and now it felt like everything revolved around him. Him and Lola.

And Mason was still alive, and Katherine was close by and Lola was still so innocent. She would only figure out what she meant to Stefan the day after, the day Mason died. Everything had been so easy before, though Lola thought that she had it hard already. It might have been the start of it all, the first time she was in this cellar. The next day, she had held the moonstone in her hands for the first time and felt Klaus's agony, felt all her memories through one quick second.

Now that all seemed so far away.

She breathed in again, through her nose this time, and let her eyes get used to her surroundings and the lack of light. Somewhere she could hear dripping water.

"Care, is that you?" she stumbled out, her voice groggy and broken, as she looked at the blonde hair of the girl in front of her.

"Lola, you're awake."

"What did you put in my drink?" she immediately accused her cousin as she cared for the red bands around Lola's arms. Caroline struggled to make her admission and just kept messing with the scrapes on Lola's porcelain arms.

"Vervain." Stefan answered for Caroline, Lola had only just noticed him now, standing in the corner of the cellar. Lola's eyes were filled with tears.

"We thought it might weaken Klaus, since the two of you are connected. All we know now is that it weakened you, one large dose upon multiple small ones."

Lola tried to fire up her hand, but it felt like her magic was clogged somewhere and wasn't letting anything stream through.

"You fucking poisoned me?"  her voice was more lethargic than she intended for it to be.

She messed with her restraints for a second before she came to a stop, "Nik."

"What did you to him?" there are other faces joining Caroline and Stefan now, faces she recognized vaguely from walking around Klaus's house, she only knows their names because sometimes she listened in on them. One face she recognized without any trouble.

"Tyler!" she struggled in her chair again, streaks of tears ran over her face.

"Tyler, what did you do to him?!" Caroline and Stefan didn't seem happy and Lola noticed that Tyler didn't seem it either.

"Nothing yet, Lola." Guilt had overtaken Tyler, he had locked Lola Arends up in a cellar to lure Klaus in, to make sure she couldn't help him. No one knew what her powers entailed.

"Don't do it, Tyler." She begged of him. The boy scoffed and dragged his feet over the floor, Lola saw Adrian's face in the group.

"Why shouldn't I do it, Lola? Just because he is good to you? Have you forgotten everything he has done to us, to this town?" Lola shook her head as she struggled, the Vervain was passing through her but it wouldn't be absorbed in time, would take at least another hour or two.

"It isn't about that, Ty." Stefan and Caroline looked at her, they were just as much hostages as she was. They thought they were doing her good by keeping her away from a bad influence, they didn't know that they were part of each other, that they could feel each other's pain. Lola calmed down a bit, the reason that Klaus's heartbeat had gotten smaller wasn't because he was hurt, but because she was filled with Vervain, keeping him distant.