CLEVER BUT CLUELESS

"Of all the lies I have ever lived, my favorite was you and I."

"WHERE IS SHE?" Damon asked his brother. They had both been looking for the brown haired doppelgänger girl with no luck. She seemed to have disappeared without a trace. Lola wondered how neither of the Salvatore boys had noticed her absence before.

"She's not here." Stefan answered, his eyes seemed bigger than usual. Lola could almost feel the stress that emerged from his body.

"What do you mean she's not here? Where did she go?" Damon's shoulders grew more square when he got annoyed or angry or worried. Lola liked how easy it was to read him.

Bonnie walked into the living room, "What's going on?" Lola peeked out of the blinds and saw Klaus, walking around with a newspaper in his hand.

"Klaus wants in, we have to keep him out."

"You guys should probably get down." Lola said as she watched how Klaus pulled back his arm and prepared to throw the newspaper through the window she was staring through.

Lola got down in front of the window as Stefan grabbed Bonnie and threw her onto the ground. Klaus's newspaper attack left nothing but some broken glass.

"I think you're probably gonna want to let me in!" the group heard Klaus call from the outside as they were once again gathered in the kitchen. There was one important question, where in the hell was Elena?

"Elena's car is gone," Stefan told the worried group in the kitchen.

Bonnie's face looked exasperated, "Why wouldn't she tell anyone where she was going?" Bonnie had been through way too much the last couple of days. From the return of a friend to the death of a friend to the return of another friend. She hadn't been able to process it all yet. Her head was filled with mixed emotions, still. She still hadn't found a way to let it all out.

Suddenly the front door burst open and a soccer ball flew through the room. Through the door Lola saw Klaus, with two white fence pickets in his hands. He hurled the fence posts through the door and narrowly missed Damon's head, forcing what was essentially a stake right into the wall.

"Oh stop it, you dramatic bastard!" Lola yelled as she got down right behind the kitchen isle. Stefan grabbed Bonnie and Jeremy and pulled them down too.

"Missed me!" Damon yelled as he pulled the picket out of the wall and threw it back in Klaus's direction. It just grazed over his shoulder. He broke the picket he still had left in half and threw it at Damon, instead hitting a picture frame.

"Missed me again!"

The last picket entered the house, but too missed. Now Klaus was standing in the doorframe, still horrifically annoyed.

"Can you just give this up?!" Lola groaned as she yelled at the man, but he had something entirely different in mind. Using the thing that Lola knew best against her friends. Stefan's phone rang, but Lola didn't hear much of the conversation while still bent behind the counters.

He returned to the house with a propane tank in one hand and torch made out of newspapers in the other. When Stefan spotted this, he had no choice but to face Klaus.

"Put it out."

Klaus grinned evilly, "come outside and make me." Stefan was no longer a victim of klaus's empty threats, though he had been one in the summer. He no longer felt afraid of the man.

So he did just that, he stepped outside, "Elena's not here. Alaric has her and Caroline and he's gonna kill them both unless you turn over to him." Anger started to burn within Klaus and for a split second he though he might just set the house on fire anyway, before he dropped the newspaper and propane tank to the grass.

"Now, I know you're not asking me to walk into a certain death."

"I really wish we could. But unfortunately, if Alaric kills you there's a one in four chance that we die too." Damon started to get up and leave the house and Lola followed. She would always follow him, to the ends of the earth if she needed to.

He carries the picket over his shoulder and responds to a conversation that Lola didn't hear, "I'll take those odds." Stefan just looked at Damon, a bit of disappointment and a bit of recognition in his face.

"And a hundred percent chance that Tyler dies."

Damon shrugged, "I'm good with that too." Lola looked at him sternly and he raised his hands into a defensive stance.

Lola sighed, "why don't we just figure out a way to put Alaric down?" Damon leaned against the picket as Stefan and Lola paced the grounds of Elena's house.

"Okay, how about Damon sneaks in and distracts Alaric, while Stefan grabs Elena and carries her to safety?"

Damon's head perked up at this and a certain look decorated his face, "Huh, that's a great idea. What's to stop me from getting killed instantly?"

A small smile seemed to appear on Klaus's face out of nowhere, "Nothing."

Damon continued on his spree of making Klaus angry, "Caroline's in there. Don't you have a thing for her? It's in the family right, or did Lola just reject you too many times?" Klaus grimaced at this. Lola knew already, she had seen how he had fallen for her cousin from the other side. She wasn't mad, but she did know that Klaus wouldn't be good for Caroline, though Caroline and Klaus would be better than she and Klaus ever were. She didn't understand. Was Damon trying to get a rise out of her? Trying to prove that Klaus moved on with his life, too after her death. He knew that she had seen him and Elena and there was a guilt inside of him, though he and Lola were never official. She was happy for him, in way. And she was sad, because there had been some hope within her that maybe she and Damon could be something more, something bigger. Something to do with love. And it hurt that Damon and Stefan both loved Elena instead of loving her, like they used to.

Lola didn't react to this in the moment, however. Instead focused on the lines on Klaus's face and keeping her arms tightly wrapped around her body.

"This isn't really helping too much." Stefan said as he looked at the uncomfortable position of the red haired girl, he could almost see the fire raising from her skin. Damon made angry, Stefan knew this, but Damon also gave her something to fight. It was what she liked about him, he guessed.

Bonnie walked out of the house, "I might have an idea. My mom used a desiccation spell on Mikael that immobilized him for over 15 years. If I can get it, I might be able to use it on Alaric."

Klaus shook his head, "If and might? Your words inspire such confidence."

"I'll get it. But even with the spell, we'll need a lot of vampire muscle to take him down," Bonnie looked at the hybrid, "including yours."

Klaus turned his back on the three friends on Elena Gilbert's porch and started to walk away.

"Just so we're clear, the sun sets in about eight hours. If we don't succeed before then, Elena will be dead, I'll be gone, and the rest of you will be left to fend for yourselves."

this is super short! as you can see i am doing around three chapters per episode now, which is a lot slower than the first book. I hope you like it.

next chapter we will be delving into Lola and Damon's relationship a bit more.