WHAT A TRAGEDY

"when love finds you, please stop running from it."

STEFAN HAD LEFT TO GO AND BEFRIEND REBEKAH ALL OVER AGAIN, Lola had looked at him with some kind of solace in her eyes, that he would work so hard for a girl who didn't love him as much as he loved her. Well, Lola was barely one to say, she had loved Damon though he had never returned that love in earnest, had seen his smile and thought that it could be different this time.

She pretended to be this emotionless being, Lola did, but all she wanted was some semblance of love, a rose petal in the sun, a white dress clinging to her body. Children, one day, two little girls and a boy if it pleased the lord. The entire bloody American dream.

Lola knew she wouldn't have it, though. Had always know that something about her would keep her from doing so and she only recently learned what this was.

The fear of bringing someone else into this world of darkness, where their mother would be in constant danger, where their aunts and uncles were bloodsucking mass murderers. Lola could deal with this, had learned to love the danger over time, had kissed the lips of those who had just consumed the red liquid, had wallowed in pity for them and left this far behind.

But now, she looked fondly at the one who had killed the most, who had killed her. There should be no forgiveness for a deed so cruel, but Lola would always find it somewhere, in books, or the news, or the words of a friend. Her forgiveness was not a difficult one to acquire.

Klaus handed her a glass of the most expensive white wine he could find, he let his hand graze hers for just a second too long. "Thank you." Lola nodded at the man, after which he sat down next to her on the red velvet couch.

He always thought that if she were a color, she'd be a red, and the velvet only added to this thought. She was greatness, he had already learned this on the first day they met, though he was not as enamored by her now as he was then. She was greatness and fire and a queen.

She was a queen from the first day he had seen her, she had never bothered being a princess, she just wasn't made for the job. And the way she sat there now, her legs crossed over each other, the wine glass held tightly to her rosy lips, Niklaus couldn't imagine how anyone could ever underestimate her. Though he himself was guilty of misjudging the girl.

Klaus took a sip of his own wine, "trials were much easier back in the day."

Lola smiled, it was that smile that only showed up when she was alone with you, when she didn't feel the need to prove herself, "back in the day I'd have been drawn and quartered a long time ago."

"Was there much prove?"

She shook her head and grinned as she swallowed a sip of the liquid, "No. My trial was one of complete character assassination."

"But, better than drowning you and seeing if you'll float." Lola laughed heartily at this.

"Somedays I would have preferred a burning at the stake."

"Why?" Lola liked this version of Nik, where he was open and honest, where he genuinely cared about your answers.

"I wasn't a bad kid, Nik. But I did some stupid things, ridiculous things that I should have turned far away from." She put her hand on his with small steps, "you always speak of betrayal like you think I have never experienced it. My life has been filled with the ultimate betrayals. And in that courtroom, it swallowed me whole."

Klaus let her hand caress his and felt overcome by some type of serenity. He realized now, why he had killed her in the first place. The power she had over him was undeniable.