COME BACK TO ME

"fear is the most elegant weapon."

HER HEELS CLICKED THROUGH THE AISLE LIKE SHE WAS ON A WARPATH. And really, she was. Though she hadn't told anyone yet. Tears were forming in her heart and mind, this feeling that things were going to go wrong. She wasn't a martyr, would never describe herself as such, but she would give everything up to support her friends. This feeling had been growing inside of her, slowly getting bigger and bigger until there was no space left for anything else. She had a 'boyfriend' who wasn't really in love with her, a fiancé who loved the girl her boyfriend loved, too. There was the Original who had loved her in multiple lifetimes, who had never understood why she came back. And then there was the case of the immortal hybrid who had loved her through centuries, before killing her of course, not the brightest choice of his life.

And then there was Lola, living in the middle of it all. Walking around in a church for a God she didn't believe in, with enough sins under her belt to satisfy the devil. A funeral for someone she didn't know, in a dress she had bought for the people she knew best.

This feeling had never stopped, even when she thought it had, it had only taken a small break and looked over the edge of despair and decided she wasn't ready to jump yet.

The hostility that was all of a sudden inside her, which had earlier made way for a girl who could melt seemed to have returned. She wasn't sure what had changed, if it was her birthday or Damon or the wedding dress she had seen hanging in Stefan's closet. Maybe it was talking to Eloise that made her feel so out of place in Mystic Falls, maybe it was thinking about what she would be doing right now if they were still alive. And maybe, maybe it had been the nightmares she had when she slept alone. About this summer, about the people Stefan had killed and about the screams she heard, maybe she felt guilty because during the day, they were so easy to forget. Elena smiled at her from behind one of the benches where she was placing the programs of this memorial and when Lola looked at her she didn't know what to look at. It might've been her suspiciously sunken in cheeks, or the color of death painting her face. Or it might have been the feeling that now that she was technically dead, she started to resemble Katherine more and more.

And Lola missed Katherine, though she would never admit this to anyone else, she missed her sarcastic older sister who gave her a familiar feeling that was so very difficult to describe. It had never been replicated after the first day she met her and had called her Katerina without any doubt.

Or it was that Elena, no matter how lovely and kind she was, was systematically seducing the people she loved. She had had Stefan already, right? And Lola had accepted this as the truth, had sought nothing behind it and had moved on. But now, she wanted Damon too and Lola found this much more difficult to swallow.

She didn't even know where Damon was, he had promised he would be here but she arrived alone and was still alone in that moment.

"Elena?" she asked as the girl hugged April Young for just a second too long, Lola recognized her eyes and knew what they meant, had seen them on Stefan a million times before. When Elena got off the young girl she put a nauseous and slender hand to her mouth and ran off. Lola followed her through the small creaking doors of the church to the ladies room that she had locked.

"Elena?" from inside she could hear the girl throwing up. She knocked on the door worriedly. Elena opened the door and inside Lola saw the literal bloodbath she had created, her entire dress, the sink and the floor of the room had been covered in blood.

"Let's clean this up, okay?" Elena nodded with tears in her eyes and Lola got an abundance of paper towels from the dispenser. Then she got onto her knees and started to scrub the dirty tiles clean.