LADY GODIVA

'I'm gonna prove you all wrong."

Lola was the only one of the group who had slept through the night. This wasn't because she didn't care for the girl, but because she knew that Elena would be alright. This wasn't her story or her experience, she didn't have anything useful to add to make Elena's transformation go smoother. Because she knew one thing, Elena would go through the transformation.

She had woken up in the Forbes residence for once, some distance from the black haired man was necessary. Especially because right now, he was with the girl he loved just as much as Lola, maybe even a little bit more.

Then there was that nagging little heartbeat, the extra one just behind her own. If you listened closely you could hear them just out of sync. She didn't know who to tell about this, she didn't even know what it meant. That heartbeat used to be Klaus, but she wasn't sure if it still was. It had stopped for a little while and then it came back, weaker, but still audible.

When she got out of the bed she immediately noticed that there was no one else in the house, this was only confirmed when she got downstairs. There was nothing, just the feeling of lingering warmth, so Lola knew that Liz had come home last night.

Her phone rung and she picked it up without even looking at the number, she was so used to it being one of the Salvatore brothers, her cousin, or Elena Gilbert.

"Paloma Arends," she spoke into the phone as she strolled into the kitchen.

"Lola?" a soft and sweet voice sounded from the other side of the line. A voice that Lola recognized without any trouble, a voice that paralyzed her. Now she was standing still in the middle of the kitchen, her hand already on the handle of the fridge.

"Eloise." She replied.

"Hi," this general feel of awkwardness overwhelmed both of the girls. They remembered times when they were on the phone quite literally all day. When there wasn't this extreme tension.

"Why are you calling?" hostility dripped from Lola's tongue. She didn't know if she was ready to forgive the girl, but if she was she wanted to do it on her own terms.

At the same time it was nice to speak to someone outside of Mystic Falls, outside of the supernatural and the mystical and outside of all of this death and suffering.

"I just," Eloise sighed, "I wanted to see how you were doing."

Lola softened a bit and sighed into the phone, her feet were so cold on the wooden floors, she hadn't had the idea to put on socks. "I'm good, I think. How are you?"

"I'm good too, I guess. I got into Yale."

Lola couldn't help but smile a bit, it had been their dream. Going to Yale together, sharing rooms even when they didn't have to. It was all they had been working towards in school.

"That's good." She hummed, "how's your family?"

She could almost see Eloise on the other side of the line, though she didn't really know what she looked like now, hadn't seen her face in a year.

"They're good. Mom has a new boyfriend and dad is working hard. David got a football scholarship." Eloise's father worked for Lola's dad, when he was still alive. Now he technically worked for Lola.

"That's cool."

"Where are you staying?" Eloise asked. A daring question, Lola thought, if she'd answer it, it would show Eloise that she was ready to leave her part in Lola's misery behind.

"Mystic Falls, it's in Virginia." Lola opened the fridge and took out a bottle of orange juice.

"Not much like New York, I guess." Eloise continued.