Chapter 30: Sard

A reddish-brown stone used to promote awareness, courage and bravery. When worn, it grants the wearer fearlessness and success.

Destiny and Sarina keep their heads down as Casey and April lead them into the front doors of Mutacorp. Taylor leads the pack, a confident smirk on her face, head held high. It's almost scary how fast she can change personas.

The receptionist at the front arches his eyebrows as they near him and he stops typing. Taylor motions for the others to stay put while she moseys on up to the desk and leans one arm against it, propping up her head on her hand.

"Hey," she greets, motioning to her tattoo. "Purple Dragons. We've got more mutants for Dr. Sabrian. Mind if we bring them up?"

The receptionist glances at the other four, eyes widening. "He mentioned wanting some females. Nice work." He reaches over and presses something on his desk, nodding at them as something buzzes. "Go on in. He should be in his office."

"Gracias."

She motions them all through to the heavy doors leading further inside. Casey tugs a little too hard on Destiny's cuffs, making her bare her teeth at him, and he has to force himself not to apologize. They hurry through the doors and, as soon as they're out of earshot, they get the shackles off.

"So, where are these keys you talked about?" Casey asks.

Taylor rubs the back of her neck. "Ah...I saw that some of the scientists have them. Most of the doors open automatically, but—"

"Do you know where they are, can we get them, or are we stuck right now?" Destiny rattles off, already looking fed up.

Taylor holds her hands up. "We are not stuck," she insists. "All we have to do is find a scientist and I'll swipe their keys."

"Then you show us to where the turtles and Splinter are," Sarina says.

Taylor's face pales. "Uh...okay, about that..."

"What?" April asks.

"I...only know where Raph is. They took everyone else to different rooms."

Destiny starts towards her and Sarina once again sticks her arm out and halts her advance. Destiny takes a cleansing breath and relaxes as much as she possibly can, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Now what, dude?" Casey asks, tugging at his vest before wrapping his arms around himself. He looks up at the ceiling and mutters, "These guys use too much A/C."

"If we find a security room or something with a layout of the building, maybe we can figure out where they're being kept," Taylor suggests.

"I can hack into the system if we find computers," Sarina says.

"Maybe I could sense for them?" April suggests.

"Then what about unlocking their cuffs and stuff?" Casey asks.

"You don't need keys when you've got strength," Destiny states with a devilish grin. She raises her hand and extends her claws. Her ears perk and she whirls around. "Footsteps."

"You can hear—" Taylor starts.

Sarina is already yanking all four of them into the nearest room, knowing better than to doubt Destiny's ears. They huddle in the darkness as the footsteps get nearer, louder, and then fade away again as they pass by.

"Okay, this is ridiculous," Destiny hisses. "We need to sit down and rethink this plan because I'm starting to think that our original plan only got us past the front freaking doors!"