Chapter 29: Paper Lantern

In Chinese folklore, the lantern symbolizes a wish for a brighter future.

🏮

Destiny paces back and forth across the lair floor, phone at the ready. Sarina sits on the bench in the living room, watching Destiny with worried eyes. The wolf-raven's hair is unbrushed and unkempt, dark circles have appeared under her eyes, and not once does she take a second to relax.

"And you didn't hear anything from them?" Destiny asks. There's a response and she pushes her hair from her eyes, holding it against her head. Her voice starts to break. "Diaval, please...please, tell me that you heard something. They...they haven't come home in days..."

Another response. Destiny reaches out and braces herself against the pinball machine. She squeezes her eyes shut and shakes her head.

"Okay...yeah, I'll let you know. Bye, Diaval. Good luck on your date."

She hangs up. Sarina waits for her to take a few breaths before speaking. "It was highly unlikely that he would know anything."

"I had to try," Destiny says, her tone far sharper than she planned. She drags herself to the living room and sits down next to the cyborg. "I had to. Someone has to know something."

"We have to assume that something has happened to them. Otherwise, we would have heard," Sarina states, although she trembles as the words. "I think that the most logical explanation is that—" Her breath hitches and she has to steels herself before she continues. "Is...that they have been captured by Mutacorp."

Destiny's ears perk and her jaw clenches. "Taylor..."

"She has not returned for her items, including little Bindo," Sarina says, glancing to where they've placed the terrarium near the TV. "It seems odd to me that she wouldn't return for them, so perhaps she has been captured as well."

Destiny stands up again, wings fluttering once before she tightens them against her back. She brings her hand to her chin, her fluffy ears pointed as her pupils swivel in thought.

"Either she's been captured, or she knew she couldn't show her face here," she whispers. She exhales, teeth gritting. "She could come back and get her things easily, but she hasn't."

Sarina's eyes flash and she narrows them. "Destiny...are you thinking what I am thinking?"

"That an innocent person has no reason to hide?"

"Yes."

The wolf-mutant lets a snarl out and starts for the exit. Sarina gets to her feet, eyes flashing again as she starts after her. She picks up the speed and jumps in front of her just before she reaches the subway tunnels, one hand going to her chest.

"Where are you going?" she asks.

"To find Taylor," Destiny says.

She brushes past her friend, but Sarina doesn't let her get far. She whirls around and latches on hand onto Destiny's wrist, planting her feet, and Destiny stops.

"Do not leave me here," Sarina whispers. "If you do not return for whatever reason, I will have lost everything. I need you to stay so that we can figure something out."

"How long can we wait, Sarina?" Destiny hisses. "If they're captured, we could be too late."

"We do not know where to start."

"So, figure it out." Sarina purses her lips and Destiny softens just a little as she turns and steps back to her. "Sarina, I know that they're in trouble. It's...it's like I can feel it."