Chapter 32: Heartbeat

Proof that you are still alive.

💔

"I am going to shower," Master Splinter says the moment they get into the lair. He stifles a yawn, his whiskers twitching. "Then...I think I will sleep for a few days."

"Hai Sensei," Sarina says. "I can help you with your wounds later if you need."

"Thank you, Sarina."

He disappears down the hall, leaving the others to get to work and situate themselves. April heads to the kitchen to try making soup while Sarina and Destiny go into mom mode. Casey and Destiny move the turtles to where Sarina tells them while Taylor lingers by the pinball machine, unsure of where to go or if she's even welcome anymore.

When Leonardo and Raphael are put on the couch, pillows propping up their heads, and Donatello is settled onto the beanbag chair, Sarina starts firing off directions. "We don't want to give them too many liquids at once," she says. "Casey, feed Donatello with this dropper. Destiny, you do the same for Leonardo. I've got to get Raphael's cuts cleaned."

Michelangelo limps up to Sarina as she brushes her bangs from her eyes. He reaches out and taps her shoulder.

"I can help," he insists before she can get a word out.

She shakes her head, unable to ignore the dark circles under his eyes and his sluggish movements. "No, Michelangelo. Go get some rest. You need it," she urges.

"But—"

"I said no. Go to your room, lay down, and sleep. I'll get April to bring you some soup later, okay?" She can't get herself to smile, no matter how much she wishes she could for his sake.

He gives in, nodding. She moves forwards and wraps him in a hug, kissing his forehead lightly.

"It'll be okay, Mikey," she murmurs. "I love you."

He takes a deep breath, glad for her warmth. "I love you too, Sari."

He heads off to his room and Sarina returns to her work. She kneels next to Raphael and starts wiping antiseptic on his cuts, getting rid of the dried and fresh blood.

Taylor watches everyone work, her gut twisted in knots. Destiny has Leonardo's head in her lap, slowly but surely giving him water. He's out of it, but the bobbing of his Adam's apple that comes after each drop shows just how badly he yearned for hydration. He lets out a weak, hacking cough before another shudder racks his body and he rolls over, curling into a ball as he nuzzles his head against Destiny's stomach like a turtle tot. Casey helps Donatello near them and Sarina alternates between him and Raphael almost effortlessly.

Taylor finally gets herself to move, shuffling to the living room and sitting down next to Raphael. Sarina is stitching some of his deeper cuts and despite being asleep, his expression twitches with discomfort. Taylor reaches out and takes his hand, rubbing circles on his palm, and he sighs, grip tightening around her.

"Taylor," Sarina says softly, pressing a bandage into place on his bicep. "Thank you for helping us."

Taylor looks at her lap, shoulders sagging as she shakes her head. "I'm the reason you're in this mess. I had to change it." She purses her lips. "My plan didn't even work, and without Hanovitz—"

"You owned up to your mistakes and helped to remedy them," the cyborg says. "We know more about Mutacorp now, thanks to you, and perhaps once we've got our strength back we can focus on taking them down." Her lips twitch a little as her eyes flash. "We got some good out of this...less than good."