Chapter 9: Rapture

A feeling of intense pleasure or joy.

Time for patrol comes along again. Donatello and Sarina fret over the mutagen sample, discussing possible outcomes with a speed that is far too much for any of the others to comprehend.

"I mean...they're a gang," Sarina says.

"Would they try to mutate their own members in order to get stronger?" Donatello wonders.

"Not sure. We need to be as accurate as possible if we are going to get the conclusion that we desire, but for that, we will need more qualitative and quantitative data. Figure out some numbers, trace it back to when all this started, and figure out their inner motives for launching this string of robberies. It's all we can do to test any theories, so—" She stops talking when she notices that her boyfriend's expression is borderline dreamy as he watches her. "What?"

"I love it when you talk smart with me," he admits. She laughs and leans up to kiss his cheek.

Raphael rolls his eyes and snaps his fingers. "Hello? Patrol?" he snaps. "As in...going and beating up thugs? Remember that?"

Leonardo sighs. "We're not being interrogators, Raph. We have to play the investigators."

"Yeah, and once we're done investigating, then we'll interrogate." He grins and lands a solid punch to his own palm.

Michelangelo perks up. "Ooo! We should wear long coats and speak in British accents and turns our collars up to look cool!" he exclaims. "Like Sherlock!"

"How do you even know about Sherlock?" Destiny asks, arching an eyebrow.

Michelangelo grins and holds his phone up. "Annalise made a video about it, duh."

"Of course she did," Destiny says with a chuckle.

"Can we get going?" Raphael asks, starting to fidget. "I already texted Casey and he's on his way."

Leonardo turns to face his brother. "Since when did I say Casey could come?"

"You didn't. I invited him."

"Raph, as your leader, I say—"

"That's great! Casey can help us fight," Destiny says as she sidles up next to Leonardo and loops her arm around his. "Come on, the night's being wasted."

She drags Leonardo away despite the ticked looks that he's sending over his shoulder. Donatello, Sarina, and Michelangelo bring up the middle as they follow the pair out, leaving Raphael at the back. He glances at his phone and bites his lip, itching to talk to Casey and reveal the real reason he called him.

It can't come soon enough.

----------

The first good thing to happen is that Leonardo splits everyone into teams to scout a wider area once they get to the surface. The second is that Raphael gets Casey on his team. Good, Raphael thinks. The fewer people around, the better.

Besides, Casey already knows about Taylor. That saves Raphael the trouble of explaining everything.

Casey is chipper tonight, a spring in his step and a fire in his eyes. Raphael watches for a minute or two before breaking the silence surrounding them. "What's got you in such a good mood?" he asks.

"I passed a mega-important science test today and..." Casey grins a little wider. "I got to take April out on a date after school. It's a good day, my dude."

"Oh."

"We went to this arcade and bought as many tokens as we could with our pocket change. I beat her at air hockey but she schooled me in Dance Dance Revolution. That girl can move. Did you know she could move her feet like that? 'Cause I sure didn't. Man, I'm so lucky to have her. She's—"