Chapter 3: Imperial

To be imperial is to be majestic, magnificent, or domineering. It alludes to royalty and being part of a guard or a soldier.

🎎

"Oh! OH!"

"Left! Left! No, your other left!"

"Use the I-beam!"

Donatello and Destiny watch as Leonardo plays on one of their arcade machines, groaning or grinning when the reaction is needed. Leonardo keeps his eyes trained on the screen, his stare unwavering.

Sarina reads a National Geographic on the couch near Michelangelo, clicking her tongue every now and then. Michelangelo giggles over his t-phone, shining his legs in the air and every now and then, he leans over to show something to Sarina or tell her what he's laughing at. She never fails to give him her full attention when he calls for it.

Meanwhile, Raphael spins a sai to himself, bored out of his shell as he stares up at the ceiling, counting the cracks. He almost wishes that there were Kraang to bash or mutagen to hunt down, anything to get his body moving.

"Donnie, is there anything we can do?" he shouts, not bothering to keep the annoyance from his tone.

Donatello sighs. "I told you, Raph, there's nothing. No Purple Dragons, nothing weird happening, we've got nothing to worry about."

"That's what I hate!" Raphael snaps, jerking himself upwards and stabbing his sai into the floor. "We're ninjas! We need something to fight!"

"Sensei always tells us not to look for fights," Leonardo reminds him without looking away from his game. "Maybe you just have to deal with the fact that the city is at peace." The screen bloops with defeat and he groans. "Shell..."

"Move aside and watch how a real kunoichi does it," Destiny says as she shoves him aside and takes the controls.

"Except you're not a kunoichi yet," Donatello says.

She shrugs. "Yeah, I've got a few more years to go, but for now I'm a gamer kunoichi."

Raphael grumbles and yanks his sai out of the floor. Why can't they take him seriously for even one minute? There could be something big brewing right under their noses and they don't even care.

He gets to his feet, rolling his shoulders. "I'm going out. Don't bother following or anything," he grumbles.

"Be sure to stay safe, Raphie," Sarina says as she flips a page.

He sighs. "Yeah. Thanks, giggles."

Her eyes flash as she smiles at him over the top of her magazine. Raphael manages a weak smile in return as he heads for the exit.

Michelangelo bursts out laughing and jumps up, snagging Raphael's arm as he passes. "Dudes, Annalise did the wasabi challenge! Her face is so red and cute!" he chokes through heaves of breath, pointing to the screen. Raphael groans.

"Still watching her videos?" Donatello asks.

Michelangelo rolls his eyes. "Um, duh. We're in love."

"Correction, you are in love. She does not know that you exist," Sarina murmurs, as if she wants to say it but is concerned about his reaction.

"Whatever, dudette. It's real to me." Michelangelo grins at Raphael. "Yo, Raph, wanna stay and watch with me?"

Raphael snorts and shoves him away. "I'll leave you to your fan-turtling. I'm gonna go find some real entertainment."

He leaves the lair in a huff and the others call scattered goodbyes to him as he disappears down the tunnel.

----------