CHAPTER THIRTEEN

How Are Thou Fallen

~

"His cry is so full of pain." Cleophas explained in a sad voice, I crossed my arm and let the wind rapidly blow my hair behind me.

"You said angels were rare, that almost no one had even seen one." Clary questioned.

"It's unheard of." Cleo replied "Iron Sisters hear the angels whisper when we're forging our weapons, but even we've never seen one." Cleo began to look back and forth between Clary and I "To communicate with an angel, you both must be blessed by the angels."

I scoffed and raised my brow, she did know that I was half demon right? Probably not. So why the hell would I be blessed by the angels. "Ariana, Clary...you are blessed."

"Stop lying, Cleophas." I snapped, as I unfolded my arm and moved closer to her "We know you're working with Roman and Valentine"

It was silent for a while before Clary spoke up "You killed Magdalena, didn't you?"

Cleophas sniffed as tears appeared in her eyes "I loved Magdalena. I thought Roman and Valentine.....I thought this was was the only way to make the world a better place." She cried "A safer place, no matter what sacrifices had to be made, but harming an angel, holding him captive, that goes against everything we believe in."

"What, and killing Downworlders doesn't?" I nearly yelled as I clenched my hands into fists.

"You don't understand." Cleophas replied as another scoff left my throat. "Neither of you do." She looked over at Clary before turning her gaze back onto me. "An angel is pure goodness, they're the embodiment of what Shadowhunters stand for, If Roman and Valentine are harming an angel, then everything we love will be destroyed."

"You know, Luke is right." Clary exclaimed as she walked to stand next to me. "You are not a Shadowhunter, you are a traitor." Clary gave me the signal to grab Cleo as I nodded, taking the woman's arm into my grasp. "You're the Claves problem now." I responded as I began to drag her away.

"No!" Cleo remarked as she grabbed onto my arm and pulled me back "Please, let me take you both to Roman and Valentine, we have to free the angel. Then I'll turn myself in." I started at her for a few seconds, pondering what to say before shaking my head. "No, why, why help us now?" I questioned.

"Don't you see the storm coming?" Cleophas asked as she stared into to my eyes, I felt the sadness radiating from her, she really did what to help us. "If they have the Angel and a bolt of lightening."

"He can activate the soul-sword." Clary answered as she inhaled sharply, the wind rapidly blowing her red hair around her face.