CHAPTER NINE

Dust and Shadows

~

Alec knocked on the door to the house where Iris lives. I won't lie and say the house wasn't nice, because it fucking was, it's beautiful.

I stood in-between Clary and Alec, my arms crossed as waited for the door to open. "Is she nice?" I questioned, turning my head to look at the redhead.

"Yeah." Clary nodded, giving me a quick smile as the door opened. A very pregnant lady standing there, Wow, okay, wasn't expecting that.

"Are you here to see Dr. Rouse?" The woman asked, oh, so this wasn't Iris! Okay then.

"Yes. Um, I think she's expecting me. My name's Clary." Clary replied.

"I was indeed expecting you." Another woman spoke up who I'm guess is Iris. "I only wondered when." the pregnant lady pulled the door open more so Iris came into view. "And I see you brought guests, boyfriend and best friend?"

"Uh. No." Clary shook her head the same time as Alec said 'No' making me chuckled in amusement.

"Well, whatever you are, leave your weapons outside." She gestured towards Alec "Any Warlock worth a damn can see through Shadowhunter glamour with ease. Oh, don't worry, it'll be safe in the alcove."

I sighed before following Clary into the house, already getting bored, Clary's hand slipped into mine for comfort as she saw the discomfort on my face. "Don't worry, Ari, everything's okay."

"I hope so." I muttered.

"Did you being your mother's." Iris began to ask. "Uh, her hair, yes." Clary replied.

"Perfect." Iris smiled as she gestured for Clary to follow, meaning I'll also follow. "Now Ariana, Nurse Leigh will help you with the paperwork."

"Uh, paperwork?" Alec asked, slight worry lacing his voice.

"What paperwork?" I asked in confusion as I turned to look at Clary, who smiled shyly at me. What the fuck has she gotten me into?

"Yeah, just a simple pin prick to draw blood for the oath." Iris responded with a smile. I'm so confused. "For the favor we talked about."

"Well, I don't know about any favor." Alec responded, gingerly taking Ariana's hand into his.

"Oh, that was the deal we made." Iris spoke in a serious voice. "This is the Ariana you talked about, yes?"