14. Ready for Whatever

I tossed back another shot when someone tapped me on the arm.

                Out of all people it was Jared.

                I looked at him then just went for my other shot.

                Jared reached infront of me and grabbed the shot. “I think you should talk to me sober.”

                “I think you need to watch your hand.”

                “Listen, Gen told me to come and take care of you. She doesn’t know what to say or how to say it.”

                “Did she know that he was back with her?”

                Jared shook his head back at me.

                I took the other shot. “See the problem is that everyone around me keeps thinking that I can just rebuild my life and be all happy.”

                Jared waved down the bartender and ordered a beer. “Yea, I know life can be pretty rough.”

                I looked back at him, “You know like nothing.”

                “I know you used to work as a personal helper.” Jared looked down at me.

                I cracked a smile back at him, “You knew this entire time and said nothing?”

                “I didn’t wanna judge and really I didn’t wanna say something and it is wrong.”

                I laughed back at him, “Nah, I was a paid escort back in LA.”

                “So that was how you got with Jensen.”

                I nodded my head back at him.

                “Maybe that is why you couldn’t make it work.”

                I turned to him, “Is this supposes to help me or help you?”

                Jared grabbed my arm, “I knew about Gen’s past and having you here is just going to bring up the life she tried so hard to forget.”

                “You can take the girl out of the country but you can't take the country out of the girl.”

                Jared glared back at me as I went to get up.

                “I am only warning you once.”

                I cracked a smile as I turned back to him, “You are warning me?”

                Jared nodded his head back at me.

                I bit down on my lip as I pulled back and sent my fist across his jaw. “There is my warning.”

                At the apartment, I kept the whiskey next to me as my feet were in the pool.

                “You punched Jared. I mean you fucking punched him.”

                “He threatened me!” I shouted back at her.

                Gen sat down next to me as she grabbed the whiskey.

                I put my hand on it.

                “I went and got checked, I am negative.”