I'll Be There

(Anna's POV)

I woke up to a bright light burning my eyes. Am I dead? My head was killing me as I tried to move it. My whole body ached in pain, even when I moved my toes and fingers. My thought of being in the afterlife already wasn't true, since I heard the sound of a monitor beeping which indicated I was in a hospital room. Despite the pain, I looked over to my right to see a hunched over figure sniffling, I wasn't sure who it was and why they were here. I groaned as pain struck my abdomen as I tried to breathe. The figure looked over and rushed towards me.

"Thank God you're awake." The voice that had belonged to Michael had said. The feeling of his hand brushing against my arm caused me to recoup in fear.

"I would prefer if you didn't touch me." The sight of his face broke my heart into pieces, but after my terrifying experience I would feel more comfortable if no one touched me.

"Did I do something?" He asked with curiosity.

"N-no, you didn't." I curtly answered.

"Then why can't I touch you?"

"It's for the best Michael." My voice came out more angered than usual which caused him to shift in his chair. Before he could say anything, a man in a white coat came in with a clip board followed by a man with a rolling table of tools.

"I see you're awake Ms. Simms. How're you feeling?" I groaned in pain as the dull aches worsened with Avery breath and movement I made.

"Sore, sick, and dizzy." He came over with a clip board as he began to write some things down.

"Yes I can see that you're feeling very uncomfortable. By the look of your bruising and cuts, I'd say that you had a pretty serious accident. While you were unconscious, we ran a few tests on you and you did happen to have a severe concussion from all of the damage on your head. From the looks of your brain scan, you did damage quite a few brain cells but none of the kind that would impair speech or any other ability, but you are lucky to be alive." I yelled in pain as my stomach gave me a sharp kick.

"Where exactly are you hurting?" He examined my body for any signs of severity.

"M-My stomach." I tried to breathe out but it just made it worse.

"May I?" He motioned to my mid section.

"I'd prefer if you didn't." I responded seriously.

"Ms. Simms, it is policy that when our patients are in major pain, we must examine them." I rolled my eyes as I looked over at Michael and asked for his help. I felt his fingers lightly brush against my sides which caused me to flinch in response. My gown was lifted far enough to where my mid section was showing.

"Good Heavens!" The doctor proclaimed in worry. I looked down to see the huge purplish black bruise that covered my abdomen. Thank you Gary, I hope you're happy.

"What are you feeling?" He questioned as he examined my stomach.

"It's a sharp dull pain that occurs when I breathe or move." I said with shallow breathing.

"We will need to run a few tests to see if any of your organs have been damaged." He wrote down a few more things as he looked over at the other man in the room. "We will need to schedule an abdominal ultrasound as soon as possible."

"I will come in later to check in. Mr. Jackson, may I speak with you in private?" I watched as Michael got up and walked out the door with the doctor.

"I'll be right outside Anna." I nodded slightly as I watched the man grab some tools off of the table.

"Umm, is it possible that I can have a female nurse instead? I would just feel more comfortable." The man nodded as he called for someone else to come in and take his place.