10

Anna ran down the stairs as fast as she could, she didn't have the patience to wait to for the elevator button to unstick itself. She opened the stairwell door and saw Stella standing outside, scanning the list to see which one to buzz on, Anna fixed her hair and folded the sleeve of her jacket, made sure everything was perfect and went out to meet Stella. 

"Hey!" Stella called through the glass when she sensed a presence watching you. "I rang you."

Anna opened the door, Stella came into the lobby and stuck her hands in her pockets awkwardly, she wasn't sure what to do, neither did Anna. 

"Sorry, I've been on the phone to Joey." Anna looked down at her feet, she was blushing bright red, she couldn't help it, Stella looked good. There was the sound of a door opening and Anna looked up, Joey was peering his head into the hallway, giving her a thumbs up behind Stella's back. "Let's go to mine, you ok with that?"

"Sure." Stella smiled at Anna and followed her up the stairs.

"Sorry about the lift, I think it's the cold." Anna was two steps ahead of Stella, she wasn't sure what to talk about, last nights easy conversation was now gone to awkwardness. 

"Oh, it's fine, I don't mind, really." She couldn't, being behind Anna had its benefits. 

"This weather, though. I feel as if it's just snapped into winter with no autumn."

"Maybe we're working too much to see the leaves turn red."

Anna laughed nervously and turned into her apartment. This time she didn't have any warning and it was a bit messy, shoes strewn across the floors, clothes hanging on an indoor line, two empty spirit bottles sitting proudly on the bench. As Stella stepped in, Anna raced ahead and kicked things out of her path making her way to the kitchen. 

"Sorry about the mess, I would make an excuse, but I wasn't even planning on cleaning, this is actually quite neat for me."

Stella smiled at her.

"I don't mind."

"Can I get you anything? A gin and tonic? Straight tequila, vodka? Red wine?"

Stella pulled up her sleeve and looked at her wristwatch.

"It's only 11 am," she said, looking back up at Anna and frowning.

"Is it?" Anna passed off surprised, she would have had a drink if she was alone. "In that case, we'll have white wine," she joked as she flicked on the kettle.

Stella laughed and sat down at the kitchen bench, she would continue a conversation they didn't finish last night till their nerves were gone.

"So, did you ever get to google the end of that movie?"

It had worked, Stella got rid of the tension and they were talking about their school days now. Two cups of tea had been drunk and they were leaning increasing closer each time they laughed. 

"There's no way you would have broken any rules," Stella teased. 

Anna hung her head mock shamefully.

"I would like to be able to say that," she said with a posh lisp, "but I simply can't. No, little Anna Sear was a naughty girl until a teacher sat her down."

"No way!" Stella laughed in shock.

"Oh yes, I wasn't rude or anything. I just would skip school and have opinions at bad times."

"I thought you were an angel."

"Sorry to disappoint."

They both laughed and when they stopped, they looked at each other and without warning, Stella leant in close and kissed Anna. Anna kissed back, moving her hand up to Stella's cheek and gently tipping her head to the side to get to Stella's lips more clearly. Stella grabbed Anna's other hand and held it while testing if she could slip her tongue into the mix. They broke away, smiling like they were high.

"Woah," Anna whispered, eyes closed.

Stella smiled at her.

"Woah indeed."

Anna opened her eyes and looked deeply into Stella's, she wanted her to know what was going on in her head when she thought about her, but she didn't want to rush any decision.

"Um... do you... do you like me?" she mumbled, playing with Stella's finger.

"No," Stella said seriously.

Anna's heart sunk to the ground, her stomach squirmed and she wanted to cry.

"Oh," she managed and let go of Stella's hand.

"I'm kidding!" Stella said quickly, seeing the effect it had on Anna. 

"You bastard!" Anna said, laughing weakly.

"I really, really, really like you."

Anna smiled, heart singing. 

"I really, really, really like you, too."