8

The black and white film flickered and flashed in front of the heads of couples sitting together. Most were kissing, leaning in close and staring at each other, making it slightly awkward between Anna and Stella. Anna's breathing was laboured and she was conscious of how close her hand was resting to Stella's, she was hardly focusing on the movie, and she was furious with Joey, she could blame him for making her feel this way even though deep down she knew she would be feeling this way even without his thoughts ringing in her head. Stella was nervous too, but she was watching the movie unlike Anna, but her gaze slipped to Anna's hands that were held tightly in Anna's own lap. Stella felt stupid for being so easily fooled by a straight girl being nice, Anna wasn't leading her on in anyway, yet she thought there was something between them, well since the fight. 

The two main characters were talking now, and Stella turned to Anna, smiling.

"Like it?"

Anna turned and looked at her, shocked that Stella was talking to her in the middle of a movie.

"Yeah," Anna said, flustered.

"So, what do you want to happen?" Stella whispered, knowing full well that by the look on Anna's face she either wasn't enjoying it or really watching.

"Um, for them to..."

Stella laughed softly.

"You want to go?"

Anna smiled, Stella took her hand and led her out of the movie theatre. They burst out in the cold air and busy street and smiled at each other.

"Where'd you want to go now?" Anna asked, walking further down into the town.

Stella shrugged. 

"A drink? The park?"

"Both?"

Stella smiled.

"Sure."

Anna fingered the stem of her cocktail glass and ran her fingers through her hair while Stella stared at her. They were sitting at a bar that overlooked the busy park, teeming with all different types of people on the busy Saturday night. Their bartender could sense the nerves between the two girls, he had no clue what could make either of them so nervous and a comment on what a lovely couple they made, made them only more jittery.

"So," Stella said mysteriously, getting Anna's attention and eyes flickering onto her's, "how's New York been for you, Aussie Girl?"

Anna smiled.

"Cold," she said slowly and paused. "It's... different. Busy."

Stella nodded.

"Better?"

"No, nothing will beat home."

"Then why are you here?"

Anna sighed and changed from her serious yet dazed expression, to an unconcerned smile.

"What about you? How's America from Britain?"

Stella noticed the change of subject but didn't raise it, instead she shrugged.

"A place is a place. A job is a job. It's the people you're around that matter."

"What about friends from home then, don't you miss them?"

"Of course, I really do, and my parents and family, but I want to be out here in the world and they understand." Stella looked out at the park and sighed. "Do you miss your friends?"

Anna quickly looked down at her hands, she wanted to go home more than ever, she was homesick and in America she only had four friends after a bit over a year. Home would be where she would go in an instant, if it weren't for the bad memories.

"Yes, but I'm not ready to go back."

They continued to talk about their homes, Anna pushing back questions onto Stella when she felt like things were going too far. They laughed and smiled at each other, each of them felt so comfortable but on edge when around each other, Anna just wanted to figure out why she felt how she felt about Stella. They left the bar after three drinks, both feeling much better and happier after the drinks were in their system. 

"Are you serious?" Stella said in shock, walking Anna home along the footpath.

"It wasn't my finest hour," Anna admitted with a smile.

Stella laughed loudly and threw her head back in amusement at the story. Maybe Anna wasn't as blasé and sweet as she appeared. Anna hooked her arm around Stella's and leant into her softly, focusing on the path in front.

"Tell me a story then, I've told you one."

"Not a chance, I'm going to look boring compared to a story where you belted up the Ticketmaster."

Stella felt so happy with Anna's arm intwined in her's, Anna's footsteps so close beside her and breath hot against her cheek. She was disheartened when the journey ended and Anna's apartment loomed over them like the ending of something fantastic.

"Here we are then," Anna said and let go of Stella's arm, but holding onto the ends of her fingers.  "You could come inside, have a drink?" Anna looked hopeful, she was nearly fully sober despite the three drinks, Stella was in awe at how well she could hold her liquor.

"I'd better get going, it's late."

"Oh." She let Stella's hand go and swung her leg loosely. 

"I'll see you Monday?"

Anna quickly lent in and kissed Stella passionately. Anna was caught surprised by the fact she had done it when the thought had only occurred five minutes earlier, but she was even more surprised by how nice it felt. Stella's lips were soft and warm, her breath was sweet and the alcohol lingered on it, when they broke away their cheeks brushed and Anna smiled. Stella looked at her with complete and utter shock, her hand in midair from where she was about to rest it on Anna's cheek and a vague smile in place. It was amazing.

"Well, goodnight!" Anna said as if nothing happened but cheerfully, she ran up the apartment building steps and left Stella standing there with so much happiness she couldn't interpret it.