1: Introduction

"Hapu, you'll be late for your first day!" My older brother called to me from across the hall on his way down to the car.

"I'm coming!" I fix my uniform in front of my mirror and spin to check and see if anything is out of place.

Well I suppose this will have to do. I pull on my backpack and run down the long hall and down the stairs into the kitchen. I grab a piece of buttered toast off the table from Leon, my younger brother.

"Hey, wait! That's mine!" Leon spoke with his mouth half full.

Taking a bite of the toast I smirk, "I'm almost late and you know how Zigfried gets. Kay, thanks, bye!"

Running out the door I see the car waiting, I hop in and the driver immediately pulls out of the drive taking the road to school. I lift my eyes to catch Zigfried's disappointed look.

He clears his throat and I prepare myself for a small lecture with his thick accent, "Hapu Van Schroeder. You are nearly late. We Schroeders are never late. It's not in our blood and gives 'ze company a bad image."

Our company, Schroeder Corp, specializes in the gaming industry. Much like the more well known Kaiba Corp. Our companies have been rivals for years but somehow, we're always one step behind, making our reputation very important to us and the company. Especially considering each of the Schroeders must be extraordinary to keep up the good publicity.

I sigh, "Yes Ziggy, I know."

I bow my head respectfully and he smiles acknowledging my apology. "Good. Now remember, you are a Schroeder and better than all 'ze others. Don't bring yourself down to 'zeir level."

"Understood."

Arriving at the school I step out and I feel a hundred eyes on me. My eyes scan the surroundings and everyone seems to be staring openly at me. As the driver pulls the limo away from the school I notice half the eyes follow the family limo and half glance between the limo and myself. Great. Guess not a whole lot of prestigious rich kids go to this school. Not that I'd expect them to. It's not like it has special awards for being a top school or anything.

I take in a deep breath and try to keep my head high as I walk through the courtyard and into the school. Taking the school map and my class schedule out of my backpack I make a face. Being homeschooled is so much easier. I can't believe I agreed to going here just for a better public image for the company.

I still feel eyes following my every move as I wander around looking for my locker. A bell rings and suddenly the halls come alive with students running every direction. I stumble back, planting my back against the lockers beside me as I watch the animals shove past one another. Within a minute the halls are empty and I almost can't believe it was filled with people just moments ago. Fantastic. How am I supposed to ask for directions if there's no one to ask? I stare at my map and I know I'm lost. How can navigating a school be this difficult?

"Hello."

Startled, I yelp just a teeny bit and I'm quickly filled with embarrassment. I clear my throat and quickly collect myself.

I look to the side at a cheerfully fiendish smile on a bunny ear haired guy. "Are you lost, my dear?"

My stomach twists in knots at the way he phrases his words. "Um, yes I don't really know where anything is. It's my first day."

"Let's see." He steps close and leans in to look at the papers in my hand.

My heart races at his proximity and I hope he can't hear the beat of my heart or feel the heat from my flushed pink cheeks.

"It's the third door on the left here. You were pretty close already." He moves a strand of hair away from my face.

"O.. oh u.. um thank you.. ah?"