7

My welcome committee in Sightless consisted of Zeus, Athena and this beaded guy in an office suit. I was relieved. Over the fuss that I saw on television, I was expecting worse than this. Salzar gracefully landed in an open ground in the middle of the palace spraying sand everywhere. It was some sort of a garden with an olive tree in the center.

Andrew dropped down while I had to crawl down.

'You need to practice to shift,' said the office guy. HE was maybe forty with brown hair, a formally cut beard. I think he was British. I just stared at him. Anyway, what is a person like him doing in a place like this? He didn't fit here.

'He's Mr. Hill,' said Andrew. 'A Seer of the Council.'

'Oh,' I said.

Mr. Hill gave out his hand, 'It's a pleasure to meet you.'

I slowly took his hand and shook.

But then, Mr. Hill became serious. 'You are too young. How old are you? Eighteen?'

'Sixteen.'

He gave a face which looked like someone stabbed in his chest. 'She's too young to bear the title of a Queen!'

'We know,' said Zeus. 'But, Tutankhamen did it...'

'Didn't he die when he was eighteen?' I said.

Zeus glared at me.

Mr. Hill sighed. He turned to me. 'Tell me, do you really want to be Queen?'

I shook my head.

I head thunder roll from behind Mr. Hill.

I glanced at Andrew. 'He will do a better job than me.'

Andrew grunted, turned on his heal and left.

'Okay.... When he grows up I guess,' I mumbled.

'I can only influence the Council to let her become the Heir to the throne. She will be Queen when she comes of age.'

'Do you believe the Council will wait so long?' said Athena. 'Sixteen is a mature age.'

'Sixteen is the bratty age,' I said.

Mr. Hill, Zeus and Athena stared at me.

'R-right?'

'Nevertheless,' said Mr. Hill. 'She is inexperienced. Andrew lived here. She just jot to know about this world about a month ago. She will have to prove herself to be worthy to be Queen for the council to approve and name her.'

'That can be arranged,' said Zeus. 'But Sightless needs a ruler, and quick.'

'Why?' I asked. 'It was fine for three thousand years without one...'

Mr. Hill shook his head. 'Times change... You are right Zeus, Sightless needs a ruler; an Enchanter. But this girl_'

'It cannot be ignored that she is inexperienced,' said Athena.

'She will learn,' said Zeus.

'Look.... You people are not really really serious about making me Queen, are you?'

No one listened.

I felt like a pawn in a big game of chess.

'The council will approve of her,' said Zeus. 'It's just a matter of time.'

I had a very bad feeling about this. And I didn't have much options, either get trapped in some fairy land political scheme or to get basted off by lightning.