My Turn (The Trial Part 2)

Start from the beginning

"I would have to say it had to be around the time when my wife and I ran into her at the grocery store. When my wife and Ashley, or Ms. Cunningham, rather, shook hands, my wife later told me that Ms. Cunningham all but tried to rearrange her knuckles. Like she was showing dominance. My wife having a pretty strong hand shake herself wasn't fazed, but still said that was beyond bizarre."

"Yes, that certainly is. What about in the hospital or at any gathering? Wasn't there a ski party at some point organized by Ms. Clark?"

"Yes, there was. That was another time when I felt Ms. Cunningham was acting inappropriately. She knew how to ski but insisted that I give her pointers, which I was glad to do. However, when we got to a certain point she pretended to fall and purposely pulled me down with her. I can't really describe the look on her face but it would be that of someone who was ready and looking to be kissed. I was shocked and immediately revolted. She was aware that I am a married man. To still pull a stunt like that was ridiculous. I was feeling pretty uneasy after the fact. My family and I left the party not long afterward."

"Dr. Cullen, do you believe Ms. Cunningham is mentally ill?"

"No, I do not."

"Why not?"

"Because she poisoned a good portion of my staff multiple times, she killed patients, and had others code that barely survived, some with life long side effects. She knew the difference between right and wrong. Yes she stalked me and sent me a massive amount of flower arrangements with pretty creepy cards, but I believe that she uses the insanity defense only to suit her needs. She knows perfectly well what she is doing. She attacked Ms. Clark with a butcher knife. She admitted to me that she did it as well as all the other things. I have been a doctor for many years, Mr. Allen, and I know an insane person when I see one; Ms. Cunningham isn't one of them."

"But Dr. Cullen, in Ms. Cunningham's mind, you were in a relationship. Wouldn't that qualify her for the defense of not guilty by reason of insanity?"

"What goes on in Ms. Cunningham's mind only Ms. Cunningham knows, but from what I have seen these last several months, Ms. Cunningham used the whole insanity gambit to cover up her actual crimes of poisoning, attempted murder, and murder."

"If you had to classify your relationship with Ms. Cunningham, what would it be?"

"I didn't have any relationship with Ms. Cunningham. She was a staff member at the hospital, nothing more, nothing less."

"A staff member? You—you . . . how could you? I was the most important person in that hospital! Why are you lying?" Ashley sputtered and attempted to stand up but couldn't due to her restraints. A few officers moved in to make sure she stayed seated.

"Ms. Cunningham! One more outburst from you and you'll be removed from the court! Now sit down and be quiet!" the judge said coldly, rapping his gavel.

While everyone remained where they were—waiting for the defense and officers to calm Ashley down—I glanced at my family, who were all sitting there like shocked statues, shaking their heads.

Just then I heard a voice in my head; Rogue's. "Don't worry Carlisle, it's almost over. Just remember to remind the jury every chance you get that she's a killer and not an insane one. She's using all her yelling to throw the DA off track. Of course she still believes you are in a relationship, but regardless, the most important thing is to keep hammering away at the point that she is a danger to society, has killed before, will kill again and has to receive death." I nodded. The DA shook his head to clear it and looked away from the defense table to continue.

"Continuing. I hope all of these ridiculous outbursts aren't hindering your testimony, Dr. Cullen." The DA looked at me.

"Not at all, we're all used to drama from her. One of my children called her a drama queen. Because when Ms. Cunningham doesn't get what she wants, she throws these fits and tantrums. It's quite childish really, for an adult. It's also a way she used her supposed insanity to throw people off what's really happening."