Trying Something New

Start from the beginning

"What made you have your epiphany?" Tanya, who was standing next to Kate, asked curiously.

He glanced at her as if for the first time. "Well it happened in Greece, actually. I was out hunting and realized that I would have to cross a river to get back to my home. There were boats I could take but I realized I had no money with me. A kind, old human man granted me access to his boat so I could return home. He saw my red eyes but pretended he didn't. I had a feeling he knew what I was. This man risked his life ferrying a vampire across the river for free just out of the goodness of his heart. I thought about it all the way across that river. My God . . . what have we been doing all these millennia? We've been destroying families! That's when it all changed for me."

I know we were all processing what Marcus was saying. He actually wanted to become a vegetarian. Wow! Talk about a 180. Of course I was willing to teach him if he was willing to learn.

"All right Marcus. I'm definitely willing to help you with that. As you are in obvious need of immediate feeding. So we'll take you—um Edward, Emmett . . . and erm . . . Tanya?"

I don't know why I mentioned Tanya's name but it's as if something told me that that was the right thing to do. Great. Now I'm hearing things too? Tanya looked up at me surprised but then nodded like it seemed logical for her, too, all of a sudden. I could see the wheels turning in her head. Wonder what was on her mind? So when everyone assembled it was Edward, Emmett, Seth decided to go in wolf form, Tanya, Marcus, and myself; we walked outside of the house after quick hugs and kisses from family. I could tell more than one person was anxious about this little outing of ours.

Then we took off running. I was in the lead with Marcus in the middle surrounded by Edward, Emmett, and Seth. Tanya was running sort of between Marcus and me. Marcus understood he was totally surrounded by some of the most powerful members of our family because until he was fed properly, we were still weary of him. No matter how docile he was, as he always was actually, none of us could forget that he was once a member of the Volturi. And they had caused us pain and suffering. They nearly cost us our very lives if it wasn't for the intervention of Rogue and her Watchers.

I got the feeling that he wanted to start fresh. And he did reveal that he had always voted against our destruction but because of the other two "chuckleheads" (Seth's phrase) was always overruled. We, unlike the Volturi, gave second chances to people. Especially if they proved trustworthy. The thing about Marcus was that, the other two were always in charge and barking orders that none of us really ever got to know Marcus alone as his own individual self. I think he came here partly because of the whole 'trying something new' and also because he wanted companionship from people he admired but could never get close to because of the other two "numb-nuts" (Jacob's phrase). Soon enough my thoughts were interrupted with Edward saying we've come to a prime location for lions, deer, and bears . . . oh my!

"All right, well let's start here. You'll watch how Carlisle does it and let your instincts take over," Edward began explaining.

"Now watch me and follow what I do," I added, as I closed my eyes and focused on the sweet smell of a nice juicy bear about a mile to our west then I took off running after it. It just sat there as we all approached. I had the others climb up the trees and hang out up there while I stalked the bear. It felt that danger was near and it stood up on its hind legs and roared. Yeah OK . . . nice try there Yogi but you're no match for me. Then I flew out from my perch and tackled it to the ground. I latched on to its neck and drained it dry. Very soon it was lying on the ground, lifeless.

Edward chuckled from his perch on the tree. When everyone looked up at him, he pointed to Seth who was perched high on a boulder and said, "Seth was just thinking that now that the bear is dead, we can use him for a rug in one of the cottages."