The other sour puss, amazingly, was Nessie. I noticed her moping around the house, seeming out of it. Not even Jacob could cheer her up. I had to get to the bottom of it. As she was pacing in circles around the living room, I stepped in front of her and stopped her mid-thought. "All right Renesmee, what is it? And don't tell me 'nothing'." I only called her by her full name when I was serious.

She looked up at me with wide eyes, took a deep breath and said, "I think Michelle has another best friend or someone secret in her life."

"Why would you think that?"

"Because she's on her cellphone a lot all of a sudden and she's texting someone, and when I ask her who she's talking to, she doesn't tell me."

"Maybe she has a boyfriend or something."

"But why wouldn't she tell me? Why hide it from me?" Nessie asked.

"Well, she is allowed to have other friends, isn't she?"

"Yes, but why keep it secret? Even if she had a boyfriend, I wouldn't get jealous. I'd be happy for her! I think she doesn't trust me," Nessie pointed out sadly.

"I think that she trusts you. I just think that when she becomes comfortable with whatever it is, she'll tell you. Just don't bug her about it. Give her some space and when it's right, she'll tell you," I soothed with a smile.

"Yeah, I guess so . . . I won't bug her anymore." Nessie didn't sound convinced.

          I've heard Jacob talk to Edward about it; apparently Nessie feels like she's not good enough for people. She thinks that she isn't good enough to have a best friend like Michelle. No matter how many times Bella and Edward had told her, she still feels like she's no one special. I don't know why this sudden feeling of sadness has befallen my granddaughter, but I was hoping that it wasn't a long term thing. Could a hybrid suffer from depression? Something to look into in my journals later.

          As if my thoughts were being read, the doorbell rang. Rose opened the door and there stood Rogue. She smiled and Rose invited her in promptly. Rogue's eyes landed on Nessie then on me.

"Welcome home, Carlisle. How was your trip?"

"Thank you, it was much needed. Thank you for recommending it."

"Listen, I didn't want to bother you tonight, but I had a feeling something was up and was wondering if I could speak with Nessie . . . alone."

Nessie's eyes widened.

"Is there a problem?" I asked concerned.

Rogue smiled. "No, but I figure I can help with teen angst."

        I understood. Nessie grabbed her jacket and followed Rogue outside. Rogue then put her arms around Nessie and flew into the air. They flew for a little while until they were on a mountain in the region. Finally, Rogue touched down. She motioned Nessie to sit on a rock near her, which Nessie did. They sat quietly for a while.

"I know that you have been feeling inadequate recently. I wanted to talk to you about that. Whatever you tell me stays here on this mountain just between the two of us. I know sometimes it's hard to speak to family," Rogue told her.

Nessie frowned. "I don't know . . . I just feel weird. Like not good enough, you know?"

"Not good enough for whom?"

"I don't know . . . my family . . . Michelle . . . you guys . . . "  Her voice trailed off.

"All right, let's start at the beginning: Why your family?"