Harm's Way

Jax

I walked inside Red Woody and tossed Chibs his phone.

"What he say?" He asked me.

"Not much. Just that the Russians are likely going to be working with the Cartel as their middleman for drugs. They're probably here to stay unless we do something about it. He said he'll keep us in the loop if he finds out anything." I told him almost the whole truth.

"Christ." Chibs said under his breath. I nodded at his silence. I did a quick look around the room, noticing that Gemma was still at the bar, making Nero and his son a plate. I couldn't see Charlie or the boys but I could see Happy. I knew that Charlie couldn't have been too far.

"Aye... I'll see if I can get in touch with Romeo, set up a meeting." He said to me, I patted his shoulder ending our conversation. I walked over to Gemma. She gave me a half smile and faced me. I looked up at Nero silently asking him to give us privacy.

"Let's go talk to some pretty girls, eh?" He said to his son who started grinning before they left. I picked up an empty mug and started pouring coffee in it.

"Look, I didn't invite Wendy." She said to me.

"I don't really care who invited her, Mom. She shouldn't have been there without us knowing about it." I told her.

"Funny because I remember you telling me that Wendy couldn't scare Charlie off." She told me and I rolled my eyes at her.

"I still don't think she could but if Charlie doesn't like that Wendy was there then neither do I." I told her.

"How'd you get her to stop coming around anyway?" I asked her.

"Doesn't matter. She shouldn't be coming around anymore." She told me.

"Christ mom what did you say to her?" I asked her. She waved off my words with her hand before she picked up her own mug.

"Like I said. It doesn't matter. Between me and Charlie the boys are taken care of. Wendy just would've been an extra set of hands that we didn't need." She told me as she took a long sip.

"When did you start caring about Wendy?"she asked me.

"I thought we were on good terms. I'm just trying to figure out why you stopped caring. You were the only one in her corner. Practically pushed me into letting her back into our lives then she just vanished." I told her. I watched as she let out a humorless laugh.

"She didn't just vanish, trust me. She's been around. She tried to start coming back around the same time Abel asked Charlie if she could be his mom. I didn't want to confuse him by having Wendy around. So I told her to give you more time- all of you." She told me. I let out another sigh bringing the mug to my lips. Her intentions were good but as always they complicated things more than they needed too.

"You think Abel wouldn't have accepted Charlie if Wendy was still helping take care of them?" I questioned her.

"I didn't say that. He's just went through so much. With school- the grieving he was going through. That shrink Wendy found for him said that any change in his life would impact him. Good or bad." She said. I was well aware of that. The day that I asked Charlie to stay I had told her that I needed to make sure that my sons would have another person in their life that would care for them. In my eyes Abel accepted Charlie as his mother faster than he did with Wendy. The longer she was around the more he clung to her. They both did. They both wanted Charlie over anyone, including Gemma.

"What?" Gemma asked me.

"Nothing. Just surprised that you were willing to shun Wendy so easily." I said.