03; bear diner

03; bear diner

"Well, that was a close game," says Leah, while staring at her plate of chicken tenders.

Taking a piece of her tenders, I took a small bite while mumbling through the food, "They weren't as bad as you said they were."

She shrugs, "That's what I heard. We still won though, so it doesn't really matter if they were bad or not."

I was taken aback by her confidence in our baseball team. Heck, we weren't even on the team, "Okay, Leah."

After finishing her piece, she looks up at me grinning, with her big brown eyes staring into mine, "So number six, huh? Aside from his teammates, he was pretty good on the field. Don't you agree?" As she speaks, I noticed the food that was stuffed in her left cheek.

I could feel my back heat up thinking about the guy. I pressed my lips together in a thin line, in effort to hide my very obvious smile. But my dear best friend was able to look right through that and grabbed my hand, shaking it eagerly and laughing.

My lips adjusted itself to a large smile.

"I don't even know him," I playfully frowned.

"Well, you know that he goes to Mercy High now," she grins, winking at me.

I groaned, "Oh my god, Leah. It's never going to happen."

"What's never going to happen?" a deeper voice that doesn't belong to any of us, interrupts our conversation.

I jumped from the sudden surprise, and immediately looked in the direction of the voice.

I felt something poke my lip.

A lollipop stick.

The edge of my lips tugged upwards in annoyance at Ryan's face, which was literally a few inches away from mine, with his pearly white grin and messy platinum hair.

The encounter seem to take us both by surprise, because the edge of his lips awkwardly lowered until his grin was gone. Then he stood back up, took the lollipop out of his mouth and pressed his lips awkwardly in a line. He slightly raised a hand and nodded, as if he was telling me 'I'm sorry'.

I rubbed my tongue on the inside of my cheeks before nodding back at him as silence fills the air.

This is so awkward.

A few minutes passes by.

Is he still standing there?

Yep.

Fuck.

I secretly kept glancing back and forth between his body and our table, while Leah sits there and silently laughs at me.

Then I looked again.

His lollipop was already back in his mouth, eyes fixated on his phone and headphones were already popped on.

How'd he do that so fast?

I pressed my eyebrows together in confusion as I stared at him.

Aside from the lollipop stick hanging from his mouth, his lips were calmly rested, blue eyes and long eyelashes blinking from time to time. The black headphones that caused a few strands of his blonde hair to get pushed back messily. He had his duffel bag across his body as he was dressed in the dirty full white with green accents baseball uniform. He had dirt on his face, and arms, and nearly everywhere on his uniform. He was now facing the opposite direction I was facing, standing behind many other people who were waiting in line to get seated.