Chapter 16- Art By Fire

Everly

As Trent walks away, something across the street captures my attention. The beautiful architecture of the historic city has been well-preserved. Each shop holds a unique appeal with charm and splendor. Directly across from Dan's shop is a studio that has two over-sized windows encased in white trim and black brick. Sandwiched between the windows is the store entrance. Above the door and windows in large, bold, black font it reads, Art by Fire.

Shimmering in both windows are two giant, glass chandeliers. The yellow and orange glass orbs spike down from the ceiling like smoldering flames.

Curious, I tell the guys, "You go do that. I am gonna go take a look around Art by Fire."

Mason and Micah laugh.

"What?" I ask confused by their reaction.

Mason clears his throat, "Just don't mention that you're Danny's sister."

Smiling at his cryptic remark, "Why?"

Micah steps up to my other side, "The owner, she hates him."

"Why, is she his ex-girlfriend?" I ask.

The guys exchange humored expressions, "Now, why would you assume an ex would hate Danny?" Mason chuckles.

"Don't answer that," Zeke remarks.

"No, she's not an ex. Just a pain in his ass," Mason explodes in laughter.

"Okay," I reply bemused. "Well, I won't be long. You boys go take care of whatever and I'll be right back."

Running off before they can object, I cross the street and walk into Art by Fire. The door chimes as I open it and I am welcomed by a smoky voice in the back, "I'll be right with you!"

The bright lights reflect off the numerous pieces of blown, glass sculptures littering the shelves. Vibrant colors tease my eyes as I study each shelf of fragile art. Soft music plays over the stereo as I make my way towards the far wall. My eyes narrow as I walk up to five, glass panel pieces that are mounted to the wall by metal. Each rectangular panel is about five feet long and a different color, but have a similar flowing design. The far left one is made of blue, sapphire glass pieces and gives me a feeling of relaxation and well-being, much like the river back on the property does. The next panel is made of emerald pieces fused together and reminds me of growth and healing. The middle panel is created with red and crimson glass. It generates feelings of passion, determination, and energy. Next to that is the purple panel. It is mysterious and haunting in its beauty. The final panel shimmers like crystal. The wavy lines remind me of a soft breeze and the pure mountain air. Together, the panels create a feeling of durability regardless of their individual fragility and I am enraptured by their familiar call.

Lost in thought, I do not hear the shop owner approach until she is standing next to me, "What do ye think? It's called The Elementals. I fashioned it after the five elements: water, earth, fire, spirit, and air."

I nod in understanding, "It's beautiful." I look at the woman whose hands created all of this magnificence. She is taller than me with an athletic build. Her defined arms are on display due to the tank top with overalls she is wearing. Her heart-shaped face is dominated by her sky-blue eyes and beaming smile. Creamy, fair skin provide a foundation for the splattering of a few freckles on her rosy cheeks and nose. She is pulling her long red hair up and piles it into a messy bun on the top of her head. After she has it secured, she holds out her hand, "Thanks! I'm Caylin Cross." I take the proffered hand and firmly shake it, "Everly Anderson. Nice to meet you," I greet and her eyes narrow.

"Anderson?" she muses.

"Oh yeah," I smile with amusement, "I'm not supposed to tell you that I'm Danny's sister."

We both laugh and she shakes her head, "He's as useless as a chocolate teapot, but I won't hold it against you," she teases. The inflection of her voice rolls off her tongue with such a mesmerizing lilt.

Curious, I ask her, "Where are you originally from? Your accent is beautiful."

Smiling at my compliment, Caylin replies, "Thank you, love. My family is from Northern Ireland."

She stares at me for a minute, "You need to meet my friends. They own the shop next door, Healing Grounds Book Cafe."

Surprised by her friendliness, I look out towards the street and see that the guys are back at the truck, leaning against it and waiting.

"I'd love to Caylin, but I can't today. Maybe some other time?" I ask, hopeful that she agrees.

She pulls out her cell, "No problem. We're having a Halloween party. Give me your number and I can send you the details."

After exchanging numbers, I leave her shop feeling excited and hopeful.

I made a new friend.

One that I feel completely comfortable with as if I've known her for years. With a gratified smile, I make my way out into the warm embrace of the baptism of sunshine.

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
Note: the picture used for this chapter is an art piece titled, "Odyssey Series" and the artist is Frank Thompson. Although the meaning I draw from the piece is different from Thompson's, he does say that they represent an odyssey or journey that each of us are on.
I happened upon this image when I was researching glass-blowing. It spoke to me and symbolized a significant part of Everly's story. Can you guess what?

 Can you guess what?