Chapter 24: Everlong

Ellie's POV:

I sat curled up on the couch in the living room. Everyone around me barked out answers to Beth who seemed to be happily enjoying this game of charades. Glenn is actually not here right now. He's outside on the porch watching for Daryl, Merle, Sasha, or anybody else that shows up at our gates. They're the only ones who haven't shown up yet. Tyreese and Michonne had heard my yelling for Daryl yesterday and came running towards my voice. They're not the only ones. Some chick named Amy Lawrence showed up and she's more sarcastic and cocky than I am. That's not really a problem but it bothers me. Rick told me to keep an eye on her while we played the game of charades but I haven't seen anything other than she's really competitive.

"Michael Jackson!" Maggie yelled out, snapping me back to reality.

Beth giggled. "Yeah, that's it." She smiled and sat back down in her seat.

There was a short silence before Carl spoke up. "Ellie, it's your turn." He tugged on my sleeve and held the bowl full of things to charade up to my face. I sighed and drawled a slip of paper out, slowly unfolding it. The slip read cat.

Great. I get to act like a cat. This is kinda ridiculous.

I hauled myself up off the couch and stood in front of the lit fireplace, facing everyone. They all had smiles on their faces. This is nice to see for once. People smiling even though we're in a hell of a world losing people left and right. I'm savoring this moment.

"Ellie?" Rick questioned. I must've been savoring a little too long.

I cleared my throat and squatted down on the floor like a cat. I started to do cat things like pretending to lick my hand and pet at my ear. I feel really stupid right now.

I bust out laughing and fall to the ground on my side. "Oh, she's clearly a laughing hyena." Amy chuckled.

"Nope." I smiled. I quit dying of laughter and started doing cat things again.

"A CAT! SHE'S A FREAKING CAT!!" Maggie yelled out a little too loud.

I'd just like to compliment Maggie on her charade guessing skills. She's gotten most of the guesses so far, followed by Amy.

I nodded and crawled my way back to the couch. "Well," Rick started off. "I think it's gettin late. We should all head to bed."

Everyone agreed and quickly stood up from their seats heading up to their rooms. I stayed slumped into the comfy couch. Can I just sleep here? It's really soft.

"You heading to bed?" Rick questioned, plopping down next to me.

"Probably not. I'm too lazy to move." I grumbled with a goofy smile.

"I can carry you if ya want." He offered.

I thought it over in my head. Rick and I aren't "a thing." It wouldn't be fair to give Daryl such little time to show up before I move on. He's just comforting me through the waiting. We haven't even done anything but sleep together in my bed. And by sleep, I really mean sleep.

"Will you?" I mumbled stretching my arms out.

He laughed and picked me up just like Daryl did when we first met and my ankle was messed up. I brushed away the thought and held onto Rick as he trudged up the stairs. We reached my room and Rick laid me down on the bed. I immediately curled up under the blankets and Rick soon joined me. My eyes drifted shut as I used Rick's shoulder as a pillow.

--------

I stared straight ahead at the road as I drove. Amy sat next to me in the passengers seat, searching trough the glove box. We need more food back at the house so I decided to go on a run with the new chick. I need to see how she behaves around walkers and just how she is.