Chapter 17: Captured

Rick frowned as soon as he saw me approaching him. He looked down at his cowboy boots as if he was trying to ignore me.

"Where's Daryl?" I tried to calmly question him but my voice was loud and stern.

"He's uh...." Rick drifted off and pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Rick! Where's Daryl?" My voice cracked.

Rick quit staring at his boots and looked up at me with saddened eyes. "He was captured. We killed a bunch of them but they got him. He told me to get out of there so-"

"So you did. You left him!" I ran at Rick with my fists out, trying to swing at him but only managing one good punch to the cheek before he grabbed hold of my wrists. "You son of a bitch!"

"Hey! I couldn't do anything! He told me to go so I did!" Rick yelled. "We'll go back for him, I promise. I just need to form a group, so we can do this right." The grip on my wrists weakened so I quickly pulled away.

I looked over to Carl who stood awkwardly next to his father. He stared up at me with the same worry in his eyes that Rick has. I sighed and turned back to Rick.

"We have guests." I muttered.

"Guests?" Rick asked.

"Yeah! Tyreese and Sasha. They're really nice." Carl piped up.

"Well, let's go meet Tyreese and Sasha." Rick smiled. He threw his arm around Carl and I and together we walked up to the courtyard.

I felt really weird that Rick had his arm around me. I just punched the guy in the face and he seems totally cool with it. Maybe it's because he feels my pain of losing a loved one.

Once we got inside the prison, Rick immediately sat down with Tyreese and Sasha. "I'm Rick." He said with his hand out to Tyreese.

"I'm Tyreese and this is my sister Sasha." The two men shook hands.

"You guys looking to be in our group?" Rick questioned.

"Yeah, if you'll let us. We'll earn our keep." Tyreese said.

"Good, we're gonna need you." Rick patted Tyreese on the back.

"Rick," Hershel stood up from his seat. "Where's Daryl?"

I looked down at my feet at the mention of his name. Rick pinched the bridge of his nose, then looked back up at Hershel. "He-"

Rick was quickly interupted by a gun going off. It sounded from outside and it was loud.

"What the hell was that?!" I yelled while quickly squating down to the cold concrete floor.

"I don't know. Stay here." Rick jumped up from his squating position and began heading towards the courtyard door but I grabbed his arm.

"You're not going out there alone." I told him.

He stared me into the eyes for a few seconds before pulling away from my grip. "Fine. Come on."

I pulled my pistol from its holster and followed Rick out the door. Once outside, we were immediately greeted by bullets hitting the wall behind us. We both ducked down and slowly crept our way over to the wooden pallets by the fence. I pressed my body against my pallet and held my gun up, ready to shoot. Rick sat across me with his python ready too.

"Hey! Assholes!" Brannon's voice echoed throughout the area. "Come out and talk to me. We mean no harm, we just want to return your friend, Daryl."

I jumped from my position and peeked over the pallet to see Brannon standing by the gate with a bunch of guys behind him. He held a gun by his side and Daryl sat on his knees infront of him, his hands behind his back. Rick quickly grabbed me by the arm and pulled me back down.