Chapter 11: Some Bitch With a Katana

(Warning. There is some sexual content in this chapter.)

Six days later.

I leaned against the balcony of the watch tower with Daryl standing to my right. The sun shined down on our faces making me feel very warm. It's much nicer today. The past few days has been nothing but thirty degree weather. Today feels like at least fifty.

As soon as Rick was done grieving over Lori's death, we had a funeral for her. From the tower in which we stood, I could see the small wooden cross marking her grave. Rick has been acting very different. Her death changed him. I mean, I guess it'd change anyone if their loved one died. Especially if they were killed by some asshole with a rifle.

After our little attack, we set up watch shifts. Two people had to be on watch at all times. It's been quiet since, which worried me.

"So you think Rick'll be okay?" Daryl asked. I looked over at him and watched as the wind blew his brown hair all around. I can't help but notice how attractive he looks right now.

"I don't know." I mumbled while looking down at the field. I seriously didn't know. Rick ignored everyone as much as he could. He only spoke when the group needed something and he had to be leader again. Carl hasn't said much to anyone either. It's like they both went into shutdown mode.

"Have ya talked to Carl yet?" Daryl asked, as if he read my mind.

I shook my head.

"Jesus. Can't imagine what's going on in that kids head." He gruffly said. "I was fucking traumatized when my mama died."

"How'd she die?" I questioned with curiosity.

"Well," he started off. "She liked to smoke a lot in bed, ya know. One day, I was out with friends, came back an' the house was burned down to the ground."

"I'm sorry." I looked at him with sadness.

"Nah, don't feel too bad. She didn't do shit when my dad-"

Daryl was cut off by a gunshot echoing through the air. We looked down to see Rick opening the outer gate and Carl following him while shooting his pistol.

"What the fuck are they doin?" Daryl gruffly asked under his breath.

Rick and Carl shot at the nearby walkers until Rick stopped and pulled up a body from the ground. It was a dark skinned women. From what I could see, she is passed out and Rick is basically dragging her inside the gate. Carl quickly ran inside too and pulled the gate shut.

"Come on, let's go meet up with them." Daryl said while whacking my shoulder softly, signaling me to follow him inside the guard tower. Daryl opened up the hatch door, letting me go first, and then he followed behind. I crawled down the ladder until we reached the stairs. We trampled down them and bust open the door leading to the courtyard. We jogged down to Rick and Carl. The first thing I noticed was the katana on her back and her right thigh is bleeding.

"Is she bit?" I asked.

Rick shook his head, his brown curls bouncing a little. "It's just a deep cut."

I nodded and Daryl helped Rick drag her up the gravel path. Once inside the prison, Rick took her katana away and laid her down in one of the unused cells. Hershel came in and immediately cleaned the wound.

"It looks like someone did this to her." He told us.

"Who would do-" Rick stopped mid sentence, realizing how stupid the question was. We all know who did this.

Glenn and Maggie rushed inside the cell, eager to see what was going on. "Who is she?" Maggie asked.

"Daryl and Ellie's shift is over. You two go on guard?" Rick ignored her question. They both nodded and ran out of the cell.