HUIT

"So it's sorta social, demented, and sad, but social. Right?"

~ John Bender, The Breakfast Club (1985)

🌻🌻🌻

BETTY

JUGHEAD JONES INSULTED MY sushi.

After their little banter about their lunches, the room fell silent once again, begging to be filled with whispers or laughter, any kind of noise just to break the silence. It was becoming uncomfortable—the silence, which was why on a normal day, Betty would do everything she could to keep a conversation going, or find someone who'd make noise with her. It's stupid, Betty thinks.

"Do you think they'll be back soon?"Jughead spoke up after a while, noticing that Veronica and Archie were taking too long in the hallways. Who knows what they were up to—Betty was sure that Veronica had enough modesty to at least wait until detention is over before she shacks it up with Archie, if ever that's what's going on between them. But then, as far as Betty knows, the two had no relationship, whatsoever. Not even the slightest glance was exchanged between the New York socialite and the Riverdale home boy.

Betty shrugged in reply, looking up at the clock, seeing that Archie and Veronica had already been out for nearly fifteen minutes, and in all that time, she and Jughead have finished their meals. Kevin was the only one left eating, separated from the two as he munched on a peanut butter sandwich.

"What's that?"Jughead asked, nodding over at Kevin's direction. Betty turned her head to look at him, both their gazes landing on Kevin, who occupied himself with his lunch. He picked up a carton, sipping the apple juice, leaning back on his seat, unaware that he was being called on. "Hey, Homeboy."Jughead whistled.

Kevin snapped up to look at him, eyes wide, the peanut butter sandwich mere inches away from his mouth. "What's that?"Jughead repeated the question, nodding once again at Kevin's sandwich, which he lowered down and waved slightly.

"Uh, it's your standard, regular lunch I guess."Kevin replied with a small shrug, biting into his sandwich once again. Jughead nodded in reply, showing no interest as he leaned forward, shifting himself on his seat so he was facing Kevin. His elbow was resting on his table, Betty's head tiled sideways to face Kevin, and with the blank look on her face and her eyebrow cocked slightly and the slightly predatory look on Jughead's face, Kevin was intimidated by them. They seemed to work like a pair, like Mr. and Mrs. Smith, except one was an absolute marshmallow.

"I can see that."Jughead said, nodding his head slightly. "PB and J with the crusts cut off...well, Homeboy, that's a very nutritious lunch. All the food groups are represented."He mocked, twirrling a stray curl of his hair in between his fingers. "Did your mom marry Mr. Rogers?"

Kevin immediately shook his head, not able to catch Jughead's references. "Uh, no. Mr. Keller."He corrected, and the playful smile on Jughead's lips immediately disappeared. "Relax, I was kidding, Homeb—"

"He has a name, Jughead."Betty interfered, rolling her eyes at Jughead's nickname. She glared sideways at him, for a second his gaze meeting hers, before she turned her eyes back to Kevin. "What's your name?"She asked, flashing a small smile at him.

"Kevin Keller."Kevin replied, gulping softly as he finished his sandwish and began to pack up his lunch. "I'm Betty Cooper."Betty told him, but instead of smiling at her, Kevin nodded his head. "Yes, I know who you are. Everyone does."He said, which only caused Betty to crease her eyebrows, slightly offended with his reply—like he was uninterested. "You're in one of my clubs."Kevin quickly covered, noticing the look of sadness on Betty's face. "Physics—that's how I knew you."