-Chapter 10-

Butch

Shit.

That's the first word that popped in my head when I saw those glowing eyes, and my mates automatic reaction to their presence makes me even more concerned. It's not surprise or fear, which I expected...but recognition and dread...like she's seen them before and knew they were coming.

This was the disturbance she was feeling...the bad feeling was about the cannibalistic wolves that are now staring us down.

"Tempest...go inside."

I whisper, Jackson already clawing at my chest to get out, wanting nothing more than to rip apart these monsters for threatening our mate. I can already feel the growl bubbling in my chest and up my throat.

"Butch? No...I'm not just gonna-" She starts.

"Please Tempest," I interrupt as the beasts creep closer, their eyes glowing red and hungry, "please just trust me and go inside. And don't come out until I come back."

I watch as she hesitates, her fearful eyes glancing back and forth between me and the rogues with conflict before backing up to the back door...not daring to turn her back until she goes inside. The second she is, I face the beasts, letting the growl I've been holding back rip out of my throat loudly...

They growl back, and I sprint across the yard and over the fence, shifting in midair and shredding my clothes before landing on the ground on all fours. Me and Jackson are pissed, but we have to lure them away from Tempest before we even think about fighting.

I growl again, the sound much more animalistic coming from my brown muzzle, and the five rogues snarl and run after me as I lead them away from my mate.

~Elliot! Dustin! Dad! We got company!~

I call through the link as I weave through the trees, the beasts aren't too far behind...but I swear there's even more than before.

~What's going on!~

Dad answers first, and I can feel the pack link flicker with the thoughts of multiple wolves all raring for a fight.

~I got at least five rogues on my ass! I can't fight them now because they are to close to my mate! I'm leading them to you guys, so prepare to attack once I clear the tree line!~

The anger that leaks through the pack link only fuels mine, the outrage of their future Luna being threatened in any way bringing them into a state of fury. You mess with the Luna, you deal with the entire pack as a consequence.

~Bring em' in! If they want blood, then we'll give it to them!~

I can hear the chorus of howls echo in front of me, and I join them in the battle cry. I'll give them blood alright, but they aren't gonna like how it tastes.

I clear the tree line moments after, turn rapidly in an ungraceful skid, sliding to a halt beside the two dozen wolves that are waiting to ambush the rogues. My father, his Beta and Gamma, my future Beta and Gamma, and the pack warriors all forming a line around my house.

~I think there's more than five now, I could feel the numbers growing as I ran.~

I growl out, and the rest of the wolves growl with me and my father. No sooner than that happens, the beasts come snarling through the trees, the pairs of red eyes now counting up to ten or twelve. We immediately launch ourselves at them, not letting them get the chance to coordinate as the front yard turns into a fray of flying fur and growls, the occasional whines of pain and snapping of jaws and bones filling my ears as I latch myself onto the throat of a rogue, his putrid stench of death and rotting blood filling my nose as I whip my head to the side to snap his neck as we roll.