32.

The sun was shining through my curtains the next morning; it was the eighteenth of April. Oliver's birthday and it meant that tomorrow was the day, that today was my last full day with him. My last day knowing that I would wake up tomorrow and he would still be there, still waiting for me. Tomorrow was our last everything.

It took longer than usual to get out of bed, I had been up most of the night on the phone to Henry, trying to arrange a few things for today. It was the least I could do. The sun was bright behind my curtains, small columns lit up the dark of my room. I could hear the birds chirping as I laid there. How were we twenty-four hours away? How had these months gone so quick? I wasn't ready for this yet; I wasn't ready to face that last goodbye.

Would I ever be ready?

Sighing deep I finally persuaded my body to get up, my eyes felt puffy from my tears and my head was aching. Pulling my clothes out the wardrobe before sitting down and looking at my reflection, my tired, broken reflection. One year ago the person looking back at me in the mirror was completely different, she was content, happy and excited for her future. She was full of life, full of adventure. The person staring back at me now looked as though she had weathered a thousand storms, her eyes looked as tired as she had watching the sun rise and set every day with no rest. She was exhausted, she was sad and I could almost see her heart breaking in front of me.

I shook my head and applied the usual light make-up, coving the dark rings under my tired eyes. I pulled my clothes on and put my hair up into a pony tail. Usually I would've gone and fixed myself something to eat but I was never hungry, I never wanted food. All I wanted to was to be there, I wanted to be there every second, I didn't want to miss a moment of him.

As I reached the kitchen I pulled my phone off charge to check the time, it was seven thirty. I boiled the kettle and made myself a hot cup of coffee to get me through the day, to keep me awake. I was exhausted, I felt as though I had been hit by a steam roller. I sat on my couch and mindlessly sipped the coffee in my hands, the sun lighting up the whole room as I sat there. I could see it catching the dust motes, little rainbow balls flittering past my eyes.

I placed my now empty cup on the coffee table, taking a deep breath and ready to face the day. I grabbed my bag and packed my phone in it, slipping my shoes on and grabbing my keys from the tv unit on my way. I locked up the door and made my way towards the prison, the sun was warm on my back. Accustomed to the harshness of winter it felt amazing to have a little natural warmth on me.

I walked the ever familiar walk to my office, a creature of habit I tossed everything in and made my way to the canteen, Oliver sat at our table. I found myself hesitating before stepping though, this would be his last day sat here. This was our last meeting here; this was the last time we would sit here together. I took a deep breath and walked through the door, Oliver looked up and smiled at me, his eyes were bloodshot and I knew then that he had been crying before I got here.

"Morning" He smiled "It's normal right?" He laughed and pointed to his face

I took his hand "I'd say so"

He smiled and squeezed my hand before letting go to finish his breakfast, he was quiet, I knew the reality of what was happening was setting in. I didn't know what to say, I didn't know how to comfort a man about to be executed. I tapped my fingers on the table "Happy birthday"

He smiled at his bowl "No cake?"

"Not today" I laughed "How are you?"

He shrugged "Better now you're here" He finished his food and nodded his head in the direction of his cell "Shall we?"

"I thought you'd never ask" I smiled at him, we stood and made our way to his cell. I fobbed us in and we both laid down on the bed as the door closed, rolling over to face him I kissed him, never wanting our lips to part "How does it feel to be thirty?"