14.

I broke free of the guards and my body slammed into the doors with a horrendous thud. I slammed my fists down on the door, angry tears streaming down my face as I screamed to be let out. I could feel so much guilt in the pit of my stomach as I was shut in the back of this van, I could picture Oliver stood there in court. How I promised him I would be there, I promised him that I would get him out... I promised him his freedom.

The guards stood now and tried to pull me away, I fought against them before they finally got a hold and tried to drag me back to the seat. I continued fighting them until I felt the cold clamp of metal around my wrists, it dug in and was extremely uncomfortable. I looked down and noticed the guards had handcuffed me, I sat down and laughed at him "Y'know, when Dad leaves I'm going to have every single one of you sacked"

The looked down as I spoke, I knew it was Dad that had ordered this. I knew he was doing this because he knew that I was Oliver's ticket to freedom, he wanted to make sure he secured one more murder under his belt before he was forced to take his retirement. I couldn't stand this, my head hurt from the thoughts of how Oliver was. I wanted to be there, I wanted to be next to him. I should me next to him, I should be fighting for his innocence!

But I'm not, instead I'm stuck in this van with my own hands handcuffed like a prisoner. I couldn't help him, I couldn't free him and I would never be able to have him the way I wanted him.

I broke down then, bringing my cuffed hands to my face, the only sound that filled the van were those of my broken sobs as I realised I had failed. I had failed to do what I had promised to try. I had failed to try and save him.

A few hours passed and I had my head rest on the side of the van with my eyes closed, they stung from the tears and I could feel they were swollen. I suddenly heard a commotion outside the van, the guards stood quick and took the cuffs off me. I rubbed my wrists and noticed the small lacerations and dry blood from where I had struggled against them.

I could hear lots of voices, shouting and I could hear many, many unfamiliar voices. I heard the doors unlock and I watched as they opened, I could see flashes from camera's as Oliver came into view. He stepped into the van with his two guards, I stood and grabbed his arms, pushing the guards off him. I could feel the tears threatening to form again, the same thick lump stuck firmly in my throat as I looked at him. He sat down and didn't say a word to me, the doors were slammed closed and I heard Dad climb into the front laughing as he did.

"Oliver" I whispered as the van set off

He looked away from him, his lips were pulled tight and he closed his eyes. His head still turned away from me, I reached out and placed my hands over his. He pulled them away and I felt hurt sting in my chest.

"Please" I begged him, I reached out and put my hand on his cheek that was turned away from me "Please look at me"

He sniffed and pulled his head away from my hand. I sat back then and looked down at my own lap. My wrists were stinging and I watched as fresh blood formed in the small wounds, I wiped it away with the back of my other hand and pulled the sleeve of my coat down over them. I didn't try to speak to Oliver for the rest of the journey, I looked at him occasionally he didn't once look at me. He kept his face emotionless as he sat there in silence, I tried to be there. I tried to help him, could he not see that?

The van pulled to a stop and I heard the doors unlock and then watched as they were swung open. The guards pulled Oliver out and I shrugged the other two off me, I climbed out after Oliver and followed behind them in silence as we walked back through into the main building. I could see Dad out the corner of my eye, an evil smirk stood form on his face. I ignored him and continued to follow Oliver.