Chapter Ten

Five months later...,

"Seriously, Liv, I just talked to you last night." I grumbled as I drove into the garage for work on an early Monday morning.

"I know but it's been forever since I saw you last. You were supposed to come down months ago." She reminded me.

"I know but you know I got busy with some patients and everything." I told her and she knew it was true.

After my meeting with Alicia where she'd launched the new project at me, I ended up spending nearly a month of vigorous training with Isaiah and Calvin, who both were able to be cleared just in time to give other teams, and each other, hell. After getting them off my appointment books, I was called in to consult on three gymnasts' injuries and training regiments which effectively put the project on the back-burners. Alicia and I had had to sit down and figure out what was happening with my schedule. I was still new so patients liked to request me for a change and I had good references from the first of my patients which caused teams to ask for me as well.

"Have you at least had time to breathe?" Liv joked.

"Barely." I replied, my tone making Liv laugh.

"Did you hear everything that happened back home?" She asked.

"Nope. My parents have been doing some kind of retirement cruise and travel thing so they've basically never been home. And now that you and Ian aren't up there, I don't know anything. Vic hasn't really called much over the last few months. He told me he was getting himself together last time we talked." I replied, grabbing my stuff out of my car so I could head inside.

"Well, apparently Selena's been in a mental hospital for like three months."

"What? Why?"

"Her sister took her away and had her committed to keep her from hurting herself and her baby. It was all for nothing, though. She wasn't pregnant." She said.

"What?! No way! But she was.., I was.., she said she was pregnant." I stammered, not even focusing on the fact that Selena's sister had gone back to Seattle.

"Apparently that's what she wanted you and Vic to believe. If you hadn't left the way you did, she was already starting her plan to get Vic to leave you. She didn't realize the unlikelihood of her actually being pregnant by him."

"I can't believe she lied." I murmured. "She's nuts."

"Yep. But it's not like her lie changed anything. You were already getting out of the marriage by the time she tried it."

"True." I shrugged. "But wow. What kind of woman lies about being pregnant?"

"The desperate kind?" Liv offered. "Carlos took a job in D.C. after finding out she lied. I think it hurt him pretty bad." She said and I felt a flash of sorrow for Carlos. He was a nice guy that didn't deserve that type of hurt. I stepped into the reception area and paused at the door.

"Liv, let me call you back." I told her and hung up without hearing her answer.

Jared wasn't in the office yet but what caught my attention was who was. There was a stranger sitting at Veronica's desk. Now, Veronica hadn't been into work for two weeks, since she and Talia had had a pretty nasty breakup, but seeing someone else at her desk was still strange.

"Oh, hello." The kind looking woman grinned. She quickly stood, running her hand down her skirt. "I'm Esther, Ms. Axel's new assistant."

"Nice to meet you." I hesitantly went to shake her hand.

"You as well. I look forward to working with you as I work for Ms. Axel." She shook my hand.

"Okay. Well, I'll be seeing you." I said and moved to my office. The second Jared came into work, he was in my office.