Chapter Two

My flight left Seattle right around midnight, heading to Miami. It was more peaceful than I thought it would be since I used to have a bit of an aversion to flying. But, being up in the air, I didn't have to worry about my phone going off with texts or calls from people wanting to know what happened or from Victor himself. After a tearful goodbye with Ian and Liv, I was able to get on the plane and forget what all just happened. When I landed in Miami, I left my phone on airplane mode as I went to claim my luggage and was just about to turn it on when I saw a familiar face holding up a sign with my name.

"Walter?" I squealed, jumping into the older man's arms. "How? Why?"

"Who do you think put in the word for you to get this job?" He laughed as we hugged.

Walter Wayne had been one of my teachers in undergrad and then in grad school. I had purposely picked my school and classes to work with him. He was a brilliant man with a kind heart. He stood tall at six foot with salt and pepper hair and a large slightly crooked smile. He had slightly wrinkled over the years, showing a bit of age. I had clocked most if not all of my clinic hours with him, spending sometimes a full twenty-four hours with him. When he gave the word that I was ready, nobody questioned me and I had run with the blessing he gave me. To know he'd done this extra step for me, my heart was flying.

"How?" I asked when I pulled away and he made a grad for the luggage cart I was using.

"The current head of the sports therapy sector, and owner, is an old friend who asked for my opinion. You were the first and only person I could even fathom telling her. The team needs an amazing head for the sector and I think you could take over for her and do amazing things. She worried about you being too young until I reminded her not to underestimate youth since she had done some big things when she was young."

"And she apparently agreed." I chuckled, following him. "Goodness, Walter." I sighed happily at seeing my mentor, the man I looked up to. "How have you been?"

"You know me, dear, I'm always good." He grinned. "What about you? I heard from your new boss that you'll be back and forth for a divorce. What did that idiot do?" He asked as we walked.

"Affair. With Selena." I answered.

"Dumbass." He shook his head and I giggled. "He'll regret it soon enough. If he's not already kicking himself." He paused. "Enough about him. You're in Miami with a new job that could see you doing a little traveling. It's a whole new world out here, dear. They sent a car for you but I insisted to accompany the car to give you a proper welcome." He said as we approached a black SUV truck. "I've been to your place and I have your keys here with me. I cleared my day to help you unpack and I have someone special waiting at your new place. Hop in and we'll put all this away." He told me and I gave him a salute, sliding into the big car, my phone completely forgotten about.

Minutes later, Walter slid into the car and we talked about everything he'd missed since he'd moved away. After I'd finished my clinic hours and everything was set for me, Walter told me I didn't need him anymore and that he wanted to move closer to where his children had settled which happened to be Florida. He'd left me with the confidence and drive that I needed to do good for all my patients.

"Wow." I said when we pulled up to a nice apartment building.

"I know. It's awesome." Walter smiled. "The car you wanted is in the garage connected to the building. Each resident gets parking based on how many people live in the apartment, so you have one spot. There's visitor parking as well for when you have friends come over and they validate parking but each resident has a limit on how many parking validations they can get for visitors." He explained as we got out of the car.