Chapter Four

"Come on, Ms. Delphine, two more sets and you're out of here." I encouraged the woman who I was working with as I made notes on her progress. She was my last patient of the day since I was taking off early.

Turned out that the facility didn't specifically cater to professional athletes, there was room for other patients as well. It was basically a full-on physical therapy center, within guidelines. Ms. Delphine was a middle-aged, fitness guru slash life coach who'd recently broken her hip when she'd been climbing some mountain. When I'd met her, I offered to take her case and work with her so she could prepare to get back out there.

Three and a half weeks into my new job and I was already in a swing of activity. I helped supervise my patients, along with generally overseeing the patients of some of the staff. Ms. Axel had been true to her word that she'd let me have leeway and we had a weekly lunch meeting to go over progress. She was actually happy with my work since I had taken over some of the lingering patients and was just about to sign off on their release after they'd been gripping and holding on for over a year. The first days with new patients had been a little hard since they didn't know me and the rest of the staff was wary of me. Quickly, though, I seemed to pass most of their inspections even though some of them still glared at me.

"Good job." I smiled at Ms. Delphine as she finished her exercise with a large puff of air. My work phone went off and I pulled it out. "Excuse me for a moment." I excused myself and moved to answer the call. "Yes?"

"Ms. Axel would like to see you to talk about your upcoming trip." Jared said, reminding me that I was heading back to Seattle for my whole divorce thing.

"I'll be right up." I told him and hung up, turning back to the gym to find an assistant. "Talia, are you free?" I called to the petite woman with blue streaks in her short, black hair. I had met her my second day when I met Veronica. Talia and Veronica were dating so they'd come in that morning together.

"What's up?" Talia smiled kindly.

"Would you mind doing Ms. Delphine's cool down and getting her signed out for the day? I also need you to set her next appointment." I said, jotting down notes.

"No problem." She replied, taking the chart when I held it out.

"Thanks, Talia." I said and turned to Ms. Delphine. "Ms. Delphine, I'm going to leave you with Talia here to finish you out today and I'll see you at your next appointment. You did great today." I smiled then I gave Talia another thanks before heading up to Ms. Axel's office.

"She's already expecting you." Veronica said as I approached her desk.

Her strawberry blonde hair was pulled back into a bun, accentuating her slightly large forehead in an uncomfortable way. Veronica wasn't exactly ugly but you had to really look for the beauty in her. What she didn't have in looks, she more than made up for in her personality, which I was blessed to get acquainted with over the weeks.

"Thanks, Veronica." I grinned and headed into the homey office. Ms. Axel had made her office like a second home for anybody that came in. She even had healthy and non-healthy snacks on her desk for anyone who wanted some. "Hello, Alicia."

"Angelica." She said in a motherly tone. "Please have a seat." She said and I followed her instructions, grabbing a granola bar from her desk as I did. "So, have you moved around all your appointments to correspond with your trip?"

"Yes ma'am. Everything should be in order for me to go and come back without any issues. I'm flying out tonight and I should be back Saturday. I had some patients that wanted to come Saturday but I convinced them to move to Monday." I nodded.

"Good." She picked up three files. "I also have some transfer cases for you to familiarize yourself with. They've all requested you." She handed me the files then moved to grab five more. "These are the new cases you'll be taking in when you get back. They've just been cleared for PT and I want you to personally see to their care. Three are football stars, one is a Hockey player and the final is a soccer player." She gave me a rundown. "We won't be needing weekly meetings any longer, you're oriented enough to make it. Give me a progress report once every two weeks and we're good. Good?"