Chapter 46- The Mark

Start from the beginning

"Well," she drones, "if I'm stuck with being haunted, I might as well put it to good use."

"Okay then," Doc smiles as he takes something out his back pocket. He holds up a worn, leather sheath and pulls out a blade that glows like rainbow fire. "This is a blood covenant. We make this type of pact because, when it is pure, it is unbreakable." As he says this, his focus is drawn to me.

Handing the knife to Thea, Doc motions for her to begin, "Run the blade across each of your palms." I watch in baited breath as she follows his command. She flinches from the pain and holds her injuries in front of her, claret pooling in each hand. My wolf picks up her sweet smelling blood that reminds me of orange blossoms on a warm summer day.

Doc continues with Caylin. Her blood drawing images of cinnamon and campfires in my mind. After Caylin, Seri glides the illuminated tool across the inside of her dainty hands. Like Caylin, she doesn't twinge in discomfort or murmur in pain. Her essence is surprisingly familiar. I sense trees, freshly baked bread, and what almost smells like fur. As I try to place it, Bel traces the glimmering blade along her skin.

"Son of a crack-using whore!" She howls through clenched teeth. Her blood has an almost crispness to it, a somewhat bubbling quality. With heaving breaths she shoves the majestic blade towards me.

I hold the peculiar dagger in my hand. It's lighter than I imagined. The handle is made of animal bone and the blade is a chiseled stone. I am transfixed by its iridescent brilliance. Placing the sharp edge on my skin, I quickly slash through my flesh. A searing sting burns through my hand. Grimacing in pain, I cut my other palm and hand over the weapon to Doc.

"Excellent," he praises. "Hold each others hand and repeat after me," he directs.

I grab Thea and Bel's hands once more as Doc begins to chant:

Wo-Ha-Le
Wo-Ha-Lo
Hey-Ya-He
Hey-Ya-Ho
Wah-Le-Le
Wah-Le-Lo
Hey-Ya-He
Hey-Ya-Ho

After a few recitations, I feel warmth begin to pulse through my body. Closing my eyes, I focus on the chant as it picks up pace. The faster we repeat the intonation the faster the ball of energy accelerates. Like a sparkler looping circles in the night sky, our magic creates a light blooming from our elemental hoop. Our bond leaving a trail of light forming the shape of a circle glowing in the darkness.

The power grows stronger until it reaches a crescendo. I feel my right forearm begin to burn. Prying my eyes open I notice that there's a quarter-sized light emanating from the spot that stings. I look up at the girls to check if they're experiencing the same enigma, when I see the most majestic site I've ever beheld.

We've created a whirlwind of light, twirling and spinning. Doc is standing at the eye of the storm. His arms stretched out, face upturned towards the stars. The power is so strong, my hair begins to shift with the current. Thea and Bel both have a vice grip on my  hands, squeezing them until I can no longer feel my fingers. 

Our voices harmonize and meld into one, harmonious chorus. The whirlwind of light travels up until I can no longer see where it ends and the sky begins. I stare at Doc, arms stretched out, the prismatic knife gripped in his hand.

Suddenly, he takes the blade and slices an area above his heart. The cloth of his white, collared shirt tears and blood blossoms into the stark fabric. Simultaneously, the burning on my forearm intensifies. Doc points the crimson-stained knife above his head.

Without warning a bolt of lightning strikes the top of the blade. The blast of light is so bright, I have to close my eyes. A cacophonous cannonade of thunder barrels into my ear, drowning out all noise. And then suddenly, everything stops. There's no feeling of wind whipping against my skin. The intense burn on my arm is gone. I only feel my arms stretched out and the comfort that my friends are with me.