Chapter 45- Free Will

Free will
A free gift
We freely fuck up
The choice to decide
Between good and bad
-Ivy Trueblood

Everly

Clapping sounds by the den entrance, "Well done, Little Wolf. Spoken like the true Elemental you are."

Spinning around, I watch as CeCe steps forward, her long, black braids swaying with each step. As she moves past me and towards Momma, I catch the faint scent of sage and rosemary wafting off of her warm, tawny skin.

Doc follows her in, his cowboy books clunking along the hardwood floor. Smiling at his wife's behavior, he shrugs his shoulders, "She's right," he tells me, "You almost sounded like a seer." He stops in front of me, arms folded over his chest.

"W-What are guys doing here? H-How did you guys get in here?" I ask confused by their sudden appearance.

His head cocks to the side, "Why do you look so shocked?" Doc asks. "You're the one that summoned us and...how did you phrase it? Oh yes, our 'abracadabra magic'." He chuckles as he follows CeCe.

I gawk at the shaman, "Seriously?"

His eyes twinkle as he puts on a fake mask of bewilderment, "I know. I was surprised too. Personally, I think our magic is more, 'bibbidi-bobbidi-boo' but, oh well. We're here," he looks over at Momma and smiles at her with warmth and kindness. "Hi, Charlotte. Welcome home."

CeCe begins to unpack her leather satchel and lights her twined bundle of sage. As the tendrils of smoke encircle Momma, I watch in fascination as Doc places his right thumb on Momma's forehead. "She's there Charlotte," he quietly announces. As he removes his thumb, I see tears in my mother's eyes.

"Do you know who her mate is?" I whisper with hope alive in my voice.

Doc rocks back on his heels, placing his hands deep in his pockets, he turns towards me. "The other Elementals are meeting us at the Magic Springs. I need to talk to you all."

"Okay, but you didn't answer my question. Do you know who her mate is?"

Doc walks past me. "Come on, they should be arriving shortly."

"Doc!"

He turns to look at me, his expression a mixture of frustration and guilt. "You know. Don't you? Of course you do. Why not tell us?"

He sighs in exasperation as he looks to the floor. "I can't intervene, Everly." His eyes roll up and pierce mine. "Even if I want to. Even if it means saving someone I care about. I am bound." He leaves the room in a torrent of vexation.

I follow him closely as he steps outside. "What do you mean you're bound? To what? The Creator? She's suffering, Doc! She's dying!"

He spins to face me, anger flashing in his eyes. "You don't think I know that?!" Heavy breaths cause his chest to rise and fall rapidly. "There isn't a part of me that wouldn't lift this affliction from her. Or, that would have done anything to save you from that monster. But I cannot interfere with fate or free will, Everly." His eyes soften. "Now, let's go. CeCe is going to stay with Charlotte."

We hike in silence through the woods leading to the majestic waterfall. The sprinkling of rain has ended, leaving a thick cool fog in the air. The evergreen trees pop as the gloomy skies provide a neutral background for their vivid, green beauty. In contrast, the perennials stand naked as their leaves have broken away, littering the forest floor. Fallen foliage has created a mosaic of orange, yellow, and brown which pad our steps as we reach the cliff ledge. Nectarous laughter blossoms from below and I see my girls waiting.

"Finally," Bel bemoans with her usual dramatic flare. She lifts her body off the boulder she was sitting on and meets us at the water's edge. She's changed her hair color. It is now a rose gold hue that has pink undertones that pick up in the light. The pink in her hair matching the pink of her Converse sneakers. I chuckle to myself when I catch the caption on her grey hoodie sweatshirt: Boys In Books Are Better.

Thea strolls over and links her arm around her sister's and smiles at me. "Morning, Evie. Love the pajamas." I flush with embarrassment when I realize that I am indeed still sporting my fuzzy sleep pants.

"Yes, well Doc didn't really give me much time to change," I mumble.

Caylin, who's radiant red hair reminds me of the burning end of a branding iron, is talking to Seri in hushed tones. The expression on their faces are that of concern and Seri's eyes keep flicking towards me. She wasn't present during our trip to Kentucky and I can't help but wonder why.

Doc motions for use to follow. "Okay, let's gather in a circle. All of you hold hands."

We do as we're directed. I hold Thea's hand and Bel grabs my other. Once Seri and Caylin join us we complete the first task. Doc is standing in the middle and eyeing each of us. "Here we go," he calmly states.

In a blur of jolting movement, we are suddenly standing in an open field. Each of us wearing the same dress we wore in my first vision. All of us in white, while Seri is wearing black.

My bare feet shift on the sandy ground. Looking up, I take in a large, cloudless sky. A sky that looks like a watercolor painting of purples, blues, pinks, and yellows. The colors all blending into the other and spotted with millions of twinkling stars.

The land, however, is barren. No blade of grass. No wisp of wind. No drop of rain or flicker of flame. Wherever we have transported to is flat and hollow.

"Where are we?" I ask to no one in particular. Amazed my voice travels in what feels like this vacuum of space.

"This is the beginning..."

➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖➖
But wait, there's more...
Double update.