"No, it's okay," I reply as I settle back between Zeke and Danny. "We just need to concentrate on getting momma out of here."

"Speaking of 'here'," Jack announces as a small, rickety cabin comes into view. Strangely, it's appearance does not invoke the same emotions of fear and dread. My mind begins to pulse with memories from the last ten years, but I push them away in an effort to maintain a clear head.

"Remember," Jack's voice booms over the drumming in my ears. "Mason and Micah are going to shift and stand guard with Bel and Caylin. Charlie, Zeke, Danny, and I will head in first. Bev, Thea, and Everly will remain on the porch till I give the all clear. Everyone understand?"

After he parks and shuts down the engine, we become a blur of movement. Zeke maintains a firm hold on my hand as we exit the vehicle and follow Jack to the front porch. I catch a blonde wolf begin to prowl around to the back of the cabin while Bel follows closely behind. Turning to look towards the front of the property, I spot the garden plot I spent many summers sweating in as I pulled weeds and picked vegetables. I catch sight of a few tools that have been left out and not returned to the shed.

I feel the ominous presence of the ancient outbuilding. Without looking, I sense it's haunting proximity as whispers of the past tug at my ear and dare me to turn my head. I give in to temptation and look. There it stands with its greying, weathered, wood siding and sagging roof. Oddly, it appears so much smaller to me now. Sad, pathetic, and decrepit. What once provoked fear, now produces...nothing.

Caylin begins to walk toward the battered shelter as another blonde wolf follows behind. I stand close to Thea and Bev as the remainder of our group enters the small house. We listen closely, although the thin walls do little to block out any noise.

Crows cawing in the distance are the only sounds I hear until Jack calls from inside, "All clear."

I push through the door heading to the back of the house and into momma's room. My steps falter when I find Danny kneeling at her side, his face buried in her shoulder as sobs wrack his body. I knew what to expect once we found her. Although I've been gone for a couple months, she has lost more weight and appears so much weaker. But, to everyone else, her appearance must come as a shock. Momma's once athletic frame has vanished, leaving this frail mirage before us. Her eyes appear sunken as her cheekbones protrude sharply. Her once long, blonde hair has thinned and dulled. Her skin has an ashiness to it that no lotion could cure.

"Momma," I whisper as I walk to her other side. She has her free hand resting limply on Danny's head. As she opens her eyes and takes me in, a faint smile graces her dry, cracked lips.

"My sweet girl," she reaches toward me. I take her fragile hand in mine and bend down to kiss her forehead. "What's going on?" She asks, her voice weak from disuse.

Uncle Charlie steps close, "We're here to take you home, Char."

"Home," momma repeats.

The men leave the room as Bev takes charge in dressing momma in warm layers of clothing. As Thea does her best to heal her, I exit and make my way down the hall. When I pass my old room I catch Zeke standing inside. Stopping at the doorway I watch as he stares blankly at my bed. "Zeke? Babe, what's wrong?"

"I smell it," he mumbles.

Stepping forward in confusion, I take a deep breath and it hits me.