xxv. always a traitor

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

THE ONLY WORD RUNNING THROUGH RILEY'S HEAD WAS MONTY. She felt guilty for the way she acted when she didn't know if he was telling the truth of wanting to help, and every bit of her needed to know that he was okay. She believed that this time, he really was on their side, so Riley knew she had to save him. The group was waiting for the rest of them back at the cave, for whenever they'd come back. It was already dangerous enough to leave, but, it was worth the risk.

Riley hardly remembered where the dropship was, but the others did. She expected nothing less, considering that it was once their home, where they defended themselves against grounders. The group of four approached the gate, and suddenly walked in slower, on guard in case this was a trap. Carefully, Riley lifted her gun, her bad hand balancing it as the finger on her other hand rested on the trigger. She sucked at shooting, still, but felt prepared.

"Monty!" Kane called out when the entrance of the dropship was in their view. He waited a second, gripping a bound Bellamy's jacket and holding a gun to his head, but lowering it when they received no response. "We got here first."

Riley breathed a short sigh of relief. They still had time, she thought. That is, until Octavia snapped. "No, we didn't." She grabbed Bellamy's shoulder, holding her sword to his throat, and setting Riley on guard again, back to the sheet covering the opening. "Get outside!" She shouted. "Now!"

Suddenly, the curtain was swept to the side and Monty's face appeared. Riley's blue eyes widened and the edges of her mouth curved into a small smile. "Monty?" She whispered, grateful to see him okay, before noticing how scared he looked with his hands tied. She looked back through the scope of her gun, watching as he stepped forward, and noticing the gun pointed to the back of his head.

Gritting her teeth in anger, Riley watched as Pike followed him outside, the barrel of his gun now pressed to the side of Monty's head as he stood behind him. "He followed me," Monty explained, apologetic and regretful. "I'm sorry."

"Let him go, Pike!" Kane called out, demanding.

"I can't do that!" Pike hollered back. Riley watched as he brought a walkie-talkie to his mouth, whispered something, before jumping in surprise when gunfire echoed and bullets hit the ground near her feet. She took a glance around, knowing Pike came prepared with guards in the woods watching them. It was a trap after all, but not Monty's fault. "It's over. Put down your weapons!"

Shaking her head, Riley peered to Kane. "No way," she hissed, refusing. She knew her of all people wouldn't be able to shoot right, and she wouldn't risk it with Monty close. "Shoot him."

After looking through his scope, Kane shook his head. "I can't," he mumbled back. "Monty's in the shot."

"Come on, Marcus," Pike urged them. "I promised Monty's mother that I'd bring him home alive, don't make me a liar."