v. the ark

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

RILEY CLUTCHED THE SCALPEL SHE STOLE AS SHE RAN DOWN THE HALLS OF MOUNT WEATHER. She wasn't familiar with this part of the mountain, and could only guess it was a closed off area. Something that was used for the outsider's blood, and now for the forty-eight. With nothing but the warning in her head, she kicked open a vent. Riley knew any of Cage's guards could be wandering around here, or even Cage himself, taking care of the reapers. She didn't have time to use the stolen scalpel to slash anyone's throat, nor did she want to. She didn't have the time to look around aimlessly either.

After Riley's parents died, she was adopted into a loving family with a little girl named Emily and two parents. Her mother stayed at home, while her father was an engineer. He had a map of the entirety of the vents, one that Riley spent a lot of time looking at. She was thankful for the good memory she had when the skin sticking out from the rip in her jeans hit the cold metal. She hadn't hesitated in beginning to crawl as fast as she could, careful to not make as much noise as possible.

Riley's long hair made it grow uncomfortably hot and stuck to the back of her neck. She kept pushing herself forward, until she reached her destination. Holding her breath and hoping she was in the right place, she carefully peeked through the blinds, her back in a uncomfortable curve. The breath Riley was holding turned into a gasp when she saw Maya, standing over someone who was receiving a blood treatment with Officer Lovejoy by her side. She couldn't hear what they were discussing, but didn't know if people were looking for her yet, so she stayed quiet and still until he left.

The second that Lovejoy left the room, Riley moved into action. She turned, laying on her back and using the heel of her foot to bash the vent's blinds out of her way. She did it a second time, and this time, it popped out and hit the ground. Riley slid out next, meeting Maya's scared face that quickly turned into an expression of relief when seeing the familiar blonde standing.

"Riley, thank god you're okay," Maya spoke, grateful, as the words came out in a rush. She didn't hesitate in passing the beds of unconscious people to get to her best friend. The second she rammed into Riley, her arms were around her in an embrace. Riley quickly returned it, her heart skipping a beat, thankful that Maya was okay too. "What happened?" Maya asked the second she pulled back, still holding Riley's arms like she'd slip away again.

Upset, Riley bit the inside of her cheek and shook her head. "Dr. Tsing and Cage took me, forced me to be an experiment." She suddenly remembered the most important thing. "Maya, they took Monty and Harper too. They're going to move forward with them - " Riley hadn't even realized that she was speaking to fast.

"Woah, hold on," Maya stopped Riley, trying to speak soothingly. "They experimented on you?" She asked. "And they're going to move forward with who?"

Tears once again sprung into Riley's eyes as she remembered hearing Harper screaming, and how she felt when she was outside. "Me. The forty-eight. I can breathe the outsiders air, because of Harper's blood," she said softly. "They strapped her down and drilled into her bone to get the blood they needed, and now.. I can.." She didn't need to continue. Maya caught on quickly.