22. Protect love

You stare intently at the woman's face, she's serious. "How do you know that you love this person?", you ask. Her cheeks heat up slightly. "W-well every time I see him I feel this strange sensation of butterflies in my stomach, whenever he touches me my heart speeds up, I blush whenever he calls my name and I stutter when I try to talk to him", she says quietly. You examine her face, although she looks sad a small smile graces her thin pink lips. "I feel jealous when he's close to others and I want him to hold onto me and never let go, I want to live with him by side until the day I die. I want to marry him and raise a family but...". Her voice cracks and tears begin descending down her face once again. You reach forward and wipe her fresh tears. "He's really sick and this is the only thing I can do to help". You nod and stare into her eyes. "What is it that you need to bring him back to health?". She bites her lip and averts her eyes. "I don't think I should tell you". You give an understanding nod and place your hands on the earth once more. You focus your energy into the dirt and watch as a beautiful pink and white lily forms. The woman's eyes widen. You dig your hands into the dirt around the flower and pull it from the earth. "This flower is known as an immunity lily, these flowers will never be able to be grown by humans but only by the gods. If you feed the nectar to the one you love then they will recover". The woman lunges at you, wrapping her arms around you in an embrace. "Thank you!", she sobs. You could feel her wet tears through the material of your clothing. You hands comfortingly rubbed her back. "It's fine".

She eventually pulls away and takes the flower from your hands, cradling it in your arms. "I knew about this flower, the immunity lily, that's the reason I came here. I had heard stories about it, they were very old but I still believed them. About 100 years ago a young woman was offering flowers of life to those who wished life for their loved ones. I thought that she would be dead, it's been such a long time". You slowly nod and look around you. "This never used to be a forest, it used to a wasteland. It used to be luscious and green but humans came by and destroyed it, collected every resource and burned the rest to the ground. My mother came across it and was saddened by the sight of the fallen forest, she was also angered by what the humans had done and went over to their village to punish them. But when she got there she realized that the destruction of her forest helped build a beautiful village. Although what they had done was horrid, my mother forgave them, they weren't bad people. Instead, she settled in this forest and restored it to its former self. After a couple of months, a terrible disease hit the village and my mother watched as the good people who lived they dropped like flies. Saddened by the sight she began offering flowers to people who wished to bring health to their loved ones". The young woman smiled at the ground. "Once again I thank you". "It is fine, what might your name be?". "Haruka". "I hope your loved one finds health, Haruka". You then stood up and began walking away, a warm feeling spreading throughout your body. Is this what it felt like, mother? To help people.

Timeskip

No longer needing to watch the young woman you found a nice place in the forest and sat down. Zetsu would come and find you when they all left. You could see the pink sky through the branches of the trees, the sun was setting. And eventually, it was dark. In the darkness the fireflies awoke and flew around you, a couple landing on your body. You let out a quiet giggle as their tiny legs tickled your skin. "So you gave them what they were looking for?", a voice calls. You turn your head to the side and are met with the glowing golden eyes of Zetsu. You nod and stand up. "I did". "Pein said not to engage, why did you?", White Zetsu inquires. They took a step closer to you, filling your stomach with a strange feeling. "Although I am working under Pein he cannot stop me from helping another". Black Zetsu chuckles and they take another step. "I thought you hated humans, why is it now that you want to help them?". Another step. You take a step back, bumping your back up against a tree. "The woman was trying to protect her loved ones, I will protect them at all costs". "So a human may live just as long as they are protecting what they love? What is so special about love that makes you want to protect it?". "I-I-I". Black Zetsu lets out another chuckle and they move closer, their hand gently brushing your arm. Your heart speeds up and you look away as their face becomes closer to your own. "(Y/n)". You look up and meet their golden gaze. "Would you protect love if it came from me?". Your heart seems to speed up even more as they close the gap between your faces, kissing your lips gently. You wanted to push him off of you and run away but you had to protect it. You had to protect love, even if it was from you.

Next chapter away!

Vote and follow me for more. Thank ya XD