22.

Louis was greeted with a bright light, and an even brighter pair of blue eyes staring down at him. He let his gaze wander down to the unmistakable smile that belonged to the one and only Niall Horan before trying to sit up. He couldn't move.
"Woah there, Lou, take it easy. I know it's a lot to handle but I need you to just listen to me. Watching you cry and take your anger out on Harry has been miserable, but you don't get to just leave him behind because you miss me. And obviously you miss me, I mean who wouldn't? But it's not your time yet, baby, you have so much to live for. I promise it's all going to work out, okay?" He paused as a yell rang through the air before sighing softly. "You're due back any second, tell Liam I love him and just know I'm watching over you all okay? I love you, Loubear. Eat something for me, alright skinny boy?" And Louis could have sworn he felt the ghost of Niall's lips on his forehead when he shot up in the hospital bed. He was surrounded by relieved doctors who were beginning to check his vitals, heart rate ringing out on the machine louder than he could handle even with his hands covering his ears. He was asked to lay back down and told he'd been hit by a car, that he was lucky the only thing broken was his leg, that he'd gone into shock and almost died but they were able to save him. The nurses explained that he needed to rest up for a while before they could send him home. He was blindly following orders, Niall's words ringing in his head. 'It's not your time yet'. Once they were sure that Louis was stable, they brought him some food and fluids to help build his strength a little, and then they brought in Harry. Oh God, Harry. He was a mess and even then Louis' breath was taken away. It was like seeing him in a whole new light, his puffy green eyes staring down at him, strong hands gripping his own lightly, as if he was scared Louis would crumble beneath him.
"Hi, baby, how are you feeling?" He murmured, thumb brushing over the bruised knuckles on Louis' hand.
"I saw Niall." He whispered back, voice hoarse and scratchy in his throat but he had to tell Harry. "I saw him before they brought me back, he was so happy. He wasn't upset that he's dead, he seemed so relaxed. Like when Liam would come home after being deployed and they'd spend the first night watching movies, you know? So content in where he was. And he made me realize how unfair i've been to you and everyone else," He our his hand up when Harry went to interrupt, he really had to get this out. "And I know you'll say that it was okay for me to be hurt, okay because I lost him but I won't ever lose him. He's still with me wherever I go, so I don't have an excuse. I don't want to be Louis, that's not who you fell in love with. That's not who Niall took care of and became best friends with, not who I am at all." He could feel the tears streaming down his face, Harry's fingers brushing them away only for more to come. "I want to be Lou, it's just going to take time for me to be that person without Niall, without the first person to accept me for who I am." And with that he hid his face in Harry's shoulder, letting himself be comforted for the first time since Niall died.
"Can I speak now?" Harry asked, smiling before pressing a soft kiss to Louis' nodding head. "I'm glad you worked through this, I wasn't sure how much more of the cold shoulder I could handle but I need you to know something okay? I almost lost you today, and I realized how awful it felt when you got the news about Niall, but you didn't go. I get to take care of you as long as you still want me around and I know now how lucky i am to have you. I know now that I love you, and losing you would be the worst thing to ever happen to me-" He didn't even get to finish because I pair of bruised and cracked lips were pressed against his own and he didn't even have time to think about how different they felt than Louis' usual soft ones because the smaller man was pulling away and crying as he whispered.
"I love you too, Harry."

//
Uh hi... i'm alive. I know I said I was going to upload a long time ago but why did you guys trust that? I always do this so uh sorry! But thank rowanthegay for getting me to focus on this for a while there. I've been so so busy with my school musical and tennis and drivers training as well as the singing group i'm in- it's been a wild ride these past few months so thank you for reading! Rowan- make sure I get another chapter out soon! Oh and guys, i want to hear what keeps you reading so feel free to comment okay? Much love xx.