30: Elliot ~ Falling

Chapter Thirty

{1 week later}

When he first realized that he wasn't asleep anymore, he hadn't budged his eyes open yet.

Elliot felt a sudden emptiness and discomfort that made him slowly aware of his surroundings.

He shifted to his side and opening his eyelids, his vision adjusted to the pale ceiling that he had become familar with over the past few days.

Grace.

After the first night where neither of them could sleep restfully until they had shared her mattress, they had found that they had slept very well, as a matter of fact, the best sleep they had had in ages for the both of them.

So they had agreed to keep each other company at night for the past week and the arrangement was working well as they were able to sleep soundly. Grace would have less reoccurring nightmares and Elliot would have less pained thoughts of his mother.

Even during the day, Grace was wonderful to have living in the house.

Elliot was given some time off school as he had completed his studies for the moment and the principal had allowed him to stay at home for the time being, especially after the recent events to Elliot's family. He was doing quite well at school anyway.

As for Grace, the doctors had assured that it was not necessary for her to return to school until she was fully ready and recovered and it seemed that she had already completed the required learning needed as of the guidelines of the curriculum.

So with Susie at primary school and their father at work, he and Grace had the house to themselves most of the day.

Usually they would stay at home, talking about everything, reading, watching tv and just spending time together.

Elliot would take Grace to her occasional appointment with the doctors and counselor, which she was fine with, as long as Elliot was next to her.

One time after Grace's appointment, Elliot had taken her around on a tour of the buzzing city and with the weather absolutely gorgeous with winter long gone and spring coming it's way, the afternoon turned out splendid.

Life was looking better...

Having spent more and more time together, Elliot had come to learn more about Grace and vice versa.

If Elliot were asked, he would say that their friendship exceeded the criteria for 'best friends', as it was more a relationship that didn't have a proper title.

His heart warmed and rolling to his side he saw Grace sleeping peacefully next to him.

Most mornings she would already be awake with a book in her hands and her eyes would darting across the page on her concentrated, yet relaxed face as she read.

He would peer at her until she would catch him staring and blush in embarrassment. Until then he would watch her as her eyes would widen in surprise and her lips would curl slightly when she immersed herself in the story.

As for this morning, Elliot just watched her sleep. He was no creepy Edward Cullen... but...

Elliot loved her.

He knew it and he wasn't scared to admit to himself.

Elliot was falling for her... she had grown on him and her importance in his life was far too great to put into words.

There were moments when he couldn't stop thinking about her and somehow she would slip into his mind.

It was bugging him and he wanted to tell her.

His teen hormones would get in the way also at times... who would blame him, he was still a teenager after all and even though a very mature one he might add.

Yet there were times where he would find it so tempting to reach up to her and grasp her face and place his mouth on her full pink lips.

He was screwed... but who was he kidding. Grace was absolutely beautiful. Her laugh... her smile... the way she talked... the way she walked...

Yet even if she considered herself broken... her imperfections made her even more gorgeous and perfect. She was a beautiful disaster...

Geez even her name suited her so perfectly... Grace... she was the epitome of grace.

He wanted to tell her how he felt but...

Of course he couldn't and wouldn't... Gr  ace was Grace and she would never have those feelings towards him...

Even if she did, Elliot didn't want to leave any unnecessary hurt on her, no matter how gentle Elliot would be.

Elliot was so tempted to announce it the previous night in fact but he stopped himself...

He wanted to tell her 'I love you'

But he had kept it to 'goodnight'

Because love meant some falling

And he knew that she was afraid of heights