46: Elliot ~ Heroes & Humans

Chapter Forty-Six

It was quite incredible how it could only take matter of seconds for things to flip right over and turn disastrous.

If someone were to tell Elliot that he and Grace were to have a tense, heated argument that would tear and shatter everything they had formed together over the blissful past months, in the middle of the night, in nothing but thin cotton sleepwear and in the middle of the road… Elliot would have scoffed in their face, telling them to knock some sense into themselves and not bother making up such ridiculous filth.

But… nonetheless… however… yet… and whatever other conjunctions possible… that was exactly what was happening before his very eyes.

Everything had crashed and burned in an instant that he hadn’t had the chance to blink or even register it happening in the first place. And when he did finally realize… it was far too late to prevent it.

“Well it doesn’t seem like you actually care… if you were given hard cold cash all this time…” Grace uttered, struggle and ache evident in her voice.

How could she say that…? Of course he cared; he cared so, so much. He… he…

"Grace, I'm in lo-"

"Don't you even dare finish off that sentence." she snapped with a deathly glare, cutting him off.

He stared at her in disbelief, seeing how harshly and how quick her attitude had changed from rain to fire.

"You think that proclaiming your so-called feelings will fix everything? You think that slipping in some happy, 'minor' detail will solve all the problems in the world?" She questioned, shakily.

He dared not say a word and was far to stunned to.

"Well no. You know what, everyone thinks that. It's everything I see and hear that oh, the solution to all problems is to simply patch it up with some positive rubbish. Sugar coating anything only leads to bad news and always ends up backfiring. Life is a lie…” she drifted off, until continuing firmer than ever before.

“No. No, no, no, no. No way! It's all an act! I've realized that all this time you've just been leading me on, making me think that you truly did care!”

He opened his mouth to speak but she cut him off.

“You actually made me believe that you really did care, that finally somebody in my life would be a constant. Even that time weeks ago when I was so close to put the blade on my wrist,”

Elliot flinched.

“You just had to come rushing in like some hero and to fix everything, you just had to grab my face and KISS ME FOR GOODNESS SAKE. Boom pow fireworks yay... love fixes all... some load of crap that is and like I'm falling for that stunt again.” she scoffed.

But then she looked down and with a trembling stance, she looked up again, meeting his eyes in the dark.

“There are no such things as constants in life… are there? Everyone is fated to leave at one point or another…To be forgotten and have no part of their life whatsoever, no memory, no mention, and no nothing. You broke my trust. You broke my heart. You broke me. You broke the me that was already broken in the first place. I was so stupid to think it was really true. But no, it was all a lie. A lie. A broken promise. But then again… you never promised me anything…”

Every word hit him, slapping him in the face, delivering a harsher blow every single time. Then he came to his senses.

"Argh, no! Grace, don't even think that for a second... How could you say that it was all an act?! Dammit, it was for real! I never faked anythin-”