Chapter 3: lilacs and loneliness

I walk into a room completely different from Jason's. It's bright and inviting. Everything was white and light purple. On the nightstand next to the bed was a vase filled with lilacs. I smell them but nothing. My elated smile turns into a frown.

"Do you not like them?" Jason asks behind me and I fake a smile.

"No, I love them. Thank you." He nods and then there is a knock at the door.

"Hope I'm not interrupting anything because I'm coming in." Mrs Sinclair calls out from the other side of the door before walking in with a pile of folded clothes in her arms.

"I'll leave you two to it." Jason walks out of the room.

His mother has me try on several dresses but I have trouble filling out each one in the chest department till finally I find one that fits alright. It is a black dress with long lace sleeves and very formal looking.

"Looks like we'll be going shopping." She frowns, looking at the boxer shorts peeking out from the trim of the short dress. I changed back into the baggy sweatpants and the shirt and walk to a powder blue Mercedes.

We drive to a mall and she drags me into a Victoria's Secret. She starts grabbing everything, panties, bras, thongs, and lingerie. I just stand there, red as a tomato. She starts pushing me into one of the dressing rooms with everything. Surprisingly, she was able to pick everything out in the right size. She buys everything before dragging me into another store. She grabs five dresses and several shirts and pants, even some skirts.

By the time we get out of there the back of the car was filled with bags and hours had passed. I may have had no say in anything but Mrs. Sinclair does have good taste and I actually enjoyed myself. "Thanks for everything."

"No thank you, I always wanted a daughter to do this stuff with but I ended up with two sons." She grins.

When we pull up to the house Jason is on the porch and he looks angry and I sink into my seat. He walks over to the car and swings the door open, his muscles showing through the tight shirt.

"I was looking all over for you. Where did you go?" His voice comes out as an angry growl and my happy feeling was gone. He should be called the happiness killer.

"We went shopping for new clothes for her. I even got some things you would like." She winks and I feel my face blush. "Now be a good boy and help bring some of these bags to her room." Mrs. Sinclair continues, placing several bags in his arms.

"What all did you get?" He asks, reaching into one of the bags and pulling out a sheer black negligee and my blush intensifies and I want to melt into the ground like the skull on the shirt I'm wearing. I quickly snatch it away from him and stuff it back into the bag before hurrying off to my room, too embarrassed to make eye contact.

Once all of it is put away I breathe a sigh of relief. I'm surprised I was able to get everything to fit in the closet and dressers.

"That should do it, and sweetie don't let my son's frosty nature or bad temper scare you." Mrs. Sinclair gives me a hug.

"Thank you Mrs. Sinclair." I hug in return.

"Please, call me Olivia. And if my son hurts you I will make him pay." With that she leaves the room.

My stomach growls and I head down to the kitchen to see Jason cooking something.

"What are you making?" I ask.

"Hamburgers. Want one?" He responded quickly.

"Yes, thanks."

The two of us sit down at the island and start eating our burgers. I sense him looking at me and turn to look at him. When I do he begins to laugh.

"What? Why are you laughing?" I ask him and he wipes away ketchup from the corner of my mouth. Where his fingers touched my face I could feel it begin to tingle. Is this part of the mate bond? I draw away from him nervously and he frowns. Seeing this, my wolf seems unhappy and I could feel her growling at me

"Tomorrow I'm going to introduce you as my Luna to the pack." His eyes peer deeply into mine.

"I want to know something first?" I ask and he nods. "Are you really a blood thirsty killer?" He seems pained by my question.

After sometime he responds. "Yes."

I can feel my blood run cold and I lose my hunger, pushing my plate away. He openly admitted it.

"Why?"

"It's part of being the alpha. I have to defend my territory. If I just let them go they will get gutsier and start taking it from me and my pack." He explains.

"If I wasn't your mate would you have killed me?" I look down at the floor waiting for his answer.

I hear him sigh painfully. "Yes."

I feel a cold sweat run down my spine. Looking back on when I first arrived I remember how angry he seemed at finding out I'm his mate. "Did you want a mate?"

"No."

"Do you want a mate?" I continue.

"No, I don't. Mates are a weakness for an alpha. Mates can feel each other's pain and suffering. By hurting you they can also hurt me." He says and deep down I can feel my wolf fall into despair, letting out a painful, solitary howl. I excuse myself from the kitchen and head back into my room.

So I'm nothing more than a nuisance, a hinderance to him. I walk into my bathroom and take a shower and brushing my teeth and hair before walking out and opening my drawer. I pull on a pair of light pink underwear.

"Are you okay?" Jason asks and I cover my nude chest.

"Knock!" I snap.

"I'm sorry. I know what I said before upset you." He walks over and wraps his arms around me from behind, kissing my temple causing it to tingle like electricity. "This is going to be hard for me to get used to."

"Let go. I'm getting dressed." As I pry myself out of his arms my wolf feels as if torn, wanting to be back in his arms, feeling his warmth.

"Can you promise me that you won't kill anyone?"

"I'll try." He mumbles.

He leaves the room and I can feel my wolf glaring at me as if saying "go after him." I throw on some pajamas and crawl into bed ignoring her nagging stare.