After Party

Claire POV

Soon enough, around eleven, everyone started heading home. It was just me and Liam left now and I still felt butterflies from getting called out from matching. It was purely luck, but was it fate too?

I pushed these thoughts from my head, it was way too late for this now.

"Thanks for coming Li." I smiled as he plopped down on my couch.

"I wouldn't miss it. It was so much fun." He said giving my hand a squeeze as I sat down next to him.

I smiled when he didn't let go right away,  wondering how long he would keep it tucked between his hands.

I don't know what came over me, but I gently swiped my thumb across his palm, rubbing a small circle.

"It's funny how we matched today." I laughed. "What are the odds of that happening?"

"I know." He laughed as well. "My mum gave it to me last week and it made me think of how you described your old room back in Wisconsin and I hadn't had a chance to wear it yet, so I figured why not debut it here, guess you were thinking the same thing."

"I was honestly. Spence showed me it and I thought of my room so I had to buy it. You know I don't have the best home life, but it was a bit nostalgic. And when I buy my own place I want to paint it this yellow like my old room." I admitted. I think I had said this to Liam but I always repeated myself so if I had mentioned it, he didn't comment. He was just a gentleman like that.

“That sounds lovely. I can picture you living in an old cottage with maybe a few barn cats and a dog, living in the countryside.” Liam teased.

“No husband?” I shot back with a grin.

“Hmm.  Maybe. But you could also just be a cat lady.” He replied, sticking his tongue out.

“Jerk.” I frowned, pretending to be upset with him. Even though we were still holding hands.

“Nah, you’ll get married Claire. I know you will.” He amended. There was something in his eyes that I just couldn’t quite place, but I knew what it was. I just couldn’t label it.

“Thanks Li. I know you will too. But for now we can just have a pity party for our singleness.” I laughed. Joking was apparently how I was coping with not dating Liam at this point. Good job Claire.

“And what a party it is.” I joked, gesturing around the room.

Liam POV

I watched Claire as she joked about our single party. There was something a little off with her joke, her voice was just different. But we were still basically holding hands and my stomach was about to explode with them.

I knew Claire had doubts about finding love. She told me so herself, as our friendship grew stronger after that heart to heart we had a few months ago.

I couldn’t believe it though. Because honestly, she was amazing. And it took everything in me not to shout that I loved her every time the topic came up in conversation. But now that I knew for sure she feels the same, that changes things. Big time.

“It’s a grand party babe.” I chuckled.

Holy shit.

I just called Claire babe.

Oh God. This was exactly what I was scared what would happen.

Shit shit shit.

“I tried.” She giggled back.

She didn’t even notice. Either that or she didn’t let on that she did. And I was eternally grateful for that.

But now that I knew for sure she wanted the same thing, should I just roll with it? Expand on accidentally calling her that? Ask her out on an actual date? We were just staring at each other now, my brain whirling as I tried to make the decision.

But before I actually could, the door flew open and Claire and I both jumped up, startled.

“What the-?” I asked, spinning to face the door, subconsciously protecting Claire from immediate harm with my body angle.

“Whoops.” Mags giggled, stepping in. “The door wasn’t closed all the way I guess and I knocked because I left my jacket here but then the door flew open.” She explained.

“Weird.” Claire said walking to the rack to retrieve Mags’ coat.

“Yeah.” I agreed, sitting on the arm of the couch.

“What are you still doing here Li?” Mags asked, slipping her coat on over her dress.

“He helped me clean up a bit more after you lot left.” Claire explained. “But I think we were just getting ready to say goodnight as well, I’ve got to be up early tomorrow anyway.” She sighed.

“Well, thanks again for the party Clairebear.” Mags teased, heading out the door.

“Bye!” We both chorused in unison.

“Well.” She started awkwardly. I knew the look. She wanted me to stay but knew that I should go. I really should go. Especially after a few pints and her lips looked especially kissable.

“I should go too. Goodnight my beautiful girl.” I said softly. And before she could speak, or I lost my nerve, I kissed her cheek and floated out the door.

The butterflies were in full force now and were pouring out of me as I walked down the stairs to my car. I was smiling like an idiot, but I was pretty sure I was an idiot who had managed to put a foot in the door.

Claire POV

Holy shit. Holy actual shit.

A/N: Kinda short and I appologize for that but I got home late from work bc I actually had to rescue someone today (I'm a life guard) and had loads of paperwork and reports to file and all that lovely stuff. Anyway, hope y'all have an awesome week! This book has over 2,500 reads! That's so crazy and I can't thank you guys enough for reading this! When I started I was gonna be thrilled if it got to 500! Have a good week and remember if you need to talk about anything feel free to come talk to me on here or tumblr or wherever! ~Tori xx