Waking Up

Claire POV

I woke up to sunlight streaming in from a window and hitting my face. I swore that I shut the curtain before I went to the dance with Liam-

This wasn’t my room. Or my bed. The realization hit me suddenly, making me aware of the arm slung over my body.

I tensed, starting to freak out. But then I saw the familiar tattoo. That calmed me down immediately, but then a new thought popped into my head. Oh no. What happened last night?

Aware of myself, I was comforted knowing that both of us were still clothed, I didn’t want to ruin our friendship with a stupid mistake.

It all came back to me in small flashes of last night, but not everything just yet. I wasn’t the most alert during the mornings on a good day.

We went to the club after the dance, neither of us drank too much, so no headache, just tiredness was clouding my mind. I vaguely remember asking Liam to stay, which would explain his arm over my torso at the moment.

After going through my range of emotions, I took a moment to appreciate the fact that Liam was holding me close to his chest, someplace I’d grown to feel safe in, when he wrapped his arm around me during various times.

His deep breathing was reassuring of his solidness and warmth and it felt so nice, I never wanted to leave. I was falling, I admitted to myself for the first time, and I was falling hard. Sighing gently, to not wake him up, I stayed in his arms for a few minutes before extracting myself out of his grip and padding into the kitchen.

I was thankful that Liam gave me comfy clothes to wear last night. I just remember being really tired and I was so grateful that he let me stay. The least I could do was make him some breakfast.

If being best friends with Spencer had taught me anything, it was how to cook. Liam wasn’t necessarily a bad cook, it’s just he wasn’t the best. He probably hadn’t had a decent breakfast in ages, as we usually stopped on our way in whenever we carpooled, or judging by the ten different cereals in the cupboard, that was his go to.

Pulling out the flour and other ingredients, I got to work on some pancakes, a recipe that Spencer and I had created back in grade ten back home. It was something I loved to make on the weekends and I figured today was as good a day as any.

Heating up another pan while waiting for the griddle to heat, I rummaged through the fridge and found a package of rashers. Might as well go full out.

While the rashers fried and the pancakes bubbled on the griddle, I put on a pot of coffee as well. I hummed to myself when suddenly a pair of arms entwined themselves around my waist.

Jumping at the contact, I heard a low laugh. Frowning slightly, I turned around to face him.

“Oh my gosh Liam. You scared me.” I scolded gently.

“Sorry.” He laughed again. “Well this is nice.” He murmured, pulling me into a hug.

“I figured I owed you it since you let me crash here last night. I was so tired. Plus we all know you can’t cook for shit, so I thought you’d want a proper breakfast.” I lightly teased him, but it was more of a ramble. Being in this close proximity was not a good thing. Not if we were still going to be friends, because the urge to kiss him was overwhelming me.

A pop sounded and I rushed to flip over the bacon. It wasn’t burned but it was close. Flipping the pancakes as well, I piled everything high on a plate and brought it over to the island.

“Grab the coffee would you Li?” He nodded his response and did as I asked.

The cooking had helped my brain clear and I was alert now. Trying to suppress the shivers from the memory of Liam pressed against me, I shook my head and set the pancakes on the island with probably more force than necessary, but it made me focus on the present.

Sitting on the stool next to Liam, I put some of the food I’d made onto a plate Liam’d brought over with the coffee. Knocking elbows with me, he leaned over and said “Thanks C. This is amazing.”

“No problem.” I smiled at him, well, to be honest, I probably beamed at him. “I love cooking.” I said honestly. It was true. I found that I cleared my head really well, especially baking.

“Funny.” He quipped, “I just so happen to love eating.”

“Looks like we’re a match then.” I teased, bumping his shoulder lightly with my own.

He nodded, and I started to laugh but it got caught in my throat. I tried not to look at his lips, but I couldn’t look away. Here we were pressed close together, him easily kissable, but then I remembered our friendship and how I didn’t want to ruin that, so I cleared my throat, took a sip of the coffee in front of me, and let the moment pass, a little bit of my heart breaking off in the process, but it was better in the long run, right?

I thought I saw a flash of hurt pass through his eyes, but I dismissed it as wishful thinking because the next second he was taking a sip from his own mug.

“Where’d you learn to cook like this?” He asked me, inclining his head at his nearly bare plate. “A bit of home, and a bit of being best friends with Spencer.” I shrugged.

“When we weren’t in the pool we were in the kitchen. And stuff just happened I guess.” I said with a shrug.

“Well I’m glad you made this. It’s kinda awesome.” He said with a light tone, but his eyes said something more. I just didn’t know what. Liam was mostly an open book, but right now I didn’t know what he was trying to convey.

“I do try.” I said airily, flipping my hair dramatically.

“Someone’s been spending a bit too much time with Lou if you ask me.” He shot back, sticking his tongue out at me.

“Hashtag sorry not sorry!” I shouted gleefully, mocking the trend, running away right away because I knew how much he hated that.

“Ohmygod Claire.” He groaned. “I can’t believe you just said that.”

“Why? I rather like it Mr. Grumpypants.” I giggled from the counter I had perched on while he remained at the island.

“Did you honestly just call me Mr. Grumpypants?” He asked with another groan.

“Yes I did.” I giggled.

“That’s it.” He said standing and making his way towards me, trying to be serious, but a huge smile creeping up on his face. “I’m gonna get ya!” He said chasing after me as I ran away.

“No!” I shrieked gleefully. He had me blocked into a corner and there was no escape and he knew it. Moving in to tickle me, I made my decision.

“Plot twist!” I yelled, ducking under his arms, but he still managed to grab my arm, pulling me into him as we both fell in a heap onto the couch.

By the time we’d given up on the playfighting and the dishes had been done, it was nearing two in the afternoon. Poor Toby was probably starving.

Just as I was thinking about that, Liam spoke up.

“Hey C. I hate to have you go because I love having you here, but I think Toby might want some food?”

“Ohmygod I was just thinking that.” I said giving him a sidelong look. “Weird. Either way you’re right. Take me home?” As if he had a choice. He kinda drove me here.

“It’d be my pleasure.” He said with a chuckle, offering me his arm as he grabbed his keys from the dish. “Your chariot awaits.”

I grabbed my dress from where it’d migrated to in the sitting room and we were off, with me promising to return his clothes tomorrow at school, me being too lazy to put my dress back on.

Only until after he’d dropped me off and I made my way up the stairs to my flat, remembering how Liam had felt with his arms around my waist while I was by the coffee machine, did it occur to me that Liam didn’t like coffee.

A/N: This is 1000000% fluff sorry not sorry but basically just rolled a few Liam fantasies into this one. Please mourn me greatly bc Alphie will most likely murder me for all the fluff. I love y'all and thanks so much for reading! Hope you have a fab week this week and that last week was awesome bc mine sure was!! ~Tori xx