Tea Clears the Brain

Liam POV

I watched Claire as she made her way into the building and as soon as she was inside, I let out the breath I didn’t really know I’d been holding. I hit my head lightly on the steering wheel, sighing heavily.

I swear Claire almost kissed me. I saw it in her eyes, she wanted to, so why didn’t she?? I should’ve kissed her. But I was too scared. Why was I so shy?? Because I didn’t want to lose her as a friend, that’s why. And I was too scared to be the first one to try this thing (whatever it is) out.

I needed to clear my head. I was thinking too much. Before I knew it, I was in front of her friend Spencer’s shop. I guess my mind just took me somewhere. Taking a steadying breath, I got out of my car and headed into the store.

As I walked in, I swear I saw a head of blonde hair dash into the back, but I brushed it off as a trick of my mind because I was so confused.

“Liam?” Spencer greeted me as I walked up to the counter.

“Hey Spencer.” I replied, a little tiredly.

“Tea?” She asked, gesturing to the racks of choices behind her.

“You’re a godsend.” I said half joking, half serious..

“I know. I’m amazing.” She shot back with a smile, setting the steeping tea in front of me.

“You really are Claire’s friend.” I teased, sticking out my tongue at her.

She didn’t deny but just giggled instead.

I stared into my tea for a few moments, trying to form thoughts, and Spencer got up and went to the case.

I was the only customer here so far, but it was a Sunday afternoon, so I wasn’t too surprised.

Sliding a cupcake in front of me, she regarded me with a careful expression.

“That’s why you’re here, isn’t it?” She asked after a moment.

“I- I think so.” I mumbled, glad she understood. I suppose I always was an open book.

“Look Liam. I like you, okay. I really like you. I think you’re one of the most sweetest, kindest, loving guys that Claire has ever known. I also know that she thinks the world of you.” I tried to interject, but Spencer cut me off and kept going.

“I know that Claire likes you, like you, okay? Don’t you dare ever tell her any of this, because I will deny it all, got it?” I nodded my confirmation, and she continued. “She likes you a lot, but she’s terrified of falling for you because of what happened last time.

Claire had really high walls before she even came over here. There’s a lot in her past that keeps her from trusting people, and I’m not even just talking about Sophie. There’s so many things about Claire that she hides, even from me, because she doesn’t want to seem weak, or she just thinks people won’t care.

That’s on her to tell you those from her past, the story isn’t mine to tell, but let me tell you, if she ever does tell you, it’s not pretty.”

“Even worse than the Anderson thing?” I asked, feeling sorry for Claire.

“Anderson was by far the worst guy thing that happened to Claire.” She said slowly. “I mean, she had a few things with proper dicks back in the states, but this is about her family.”

I vaguely remembered Claire mentioning about how she couldn’t go home or something like that, and my heart hurt with empathy. I couldn’t imagine going on without the support of my family.

“I’ve known Claire since third grade and she already trusts you more than most people. Just don’t hurt her okay? She has enough shit going on. Even if she doesn’t say anything, her family always has something going on, she just doesn’t want to bother us, or some rubbish like that.”

“Why does she have that mindset though? It just doesn’t make sense.” I said into my cuppa.

“It’s just the way she’s always been Liam. Claire is one of the most selfless people I know. She’d put anyone she cared about before herself, and sometimes it just makes her run herself into the ground.”

I took in this information with a slight nod.

“She’s not gonna make the first move. She loves your friendship too much to do anything about it herself.” I nodded standing, knowing what I had to do before I lost my nerve.

“She’s my best friend Liam. Take care of her, please.” Spencer said in an almost begging voice.

“I promise Spencer.” I said with purpose, grabbing the cupcake that Spencer had originally intended for me, and heading back to car.

I had a Claire to catch.

Claire POV

I walked into my flat slowly. The reality that Liam had a coffee maker even though he didn’t like coffee was just the kick in the side I needed to realize that maybe, just maybe, he liked me too.

Smiling to myself, I fed Toby and cuddled him for a bit, kind of watching some lame show on the telly. It was about quarter to four when my phone rang and it all went downhill from there.

A/N: Dun dun dun! Cliff hanger! sorry! kinda :P so this update is late but it's still sunday hehe I'm in a life guard class and then work right after so I got home late today :(( hope y'all had an awesome Mothers day and that you showed your mom some love! :)) Have a fab week! ~Tori xx